Vegan Ethos

...a real forum.

Hello vegan world!

Welcome! We love new vegans, and we are here to help.

Hello vegan world!

Postby Sarah » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:17 am

My name is Sarah. Many of you will know me as Shiva's daughter.

I am not a vegan, but I have been a vegetarian all of my life. There are ways that I practice vegan thinking and habits in my life, but at the end of the day, I still eat cheese, and I don't always check my bread for whey, and sometimes I even have an egg for breakfast. But I love animals. Pigs are one of my favorite animals EVER, and someday when I have a yard and more space, I will care for one. My cat is a vegan, as are my two guinea pigs, but I made that choice for them, and they don't have to deal with cheese cravings or learn the ins and outs of grocery shopping, so I say they got off easy. I don't buy leather, and I try to make the right decisions when I can. I may not be a vegan today, and I may not be tomorrow, or the day after that, or even this year. But someday all of these little changes in my life will add up. Someday I will wake up and it will all seem right. Maybe if I hang out here long enough, that will happen a little sooner.

My boyfriend of four and half years, John, is an omnivore who can't cook. Which means he eats what I cook, so I like to think of him as a part time vegetarian and occasional vegan, just don't tell him that. Though he's been living this way for long enough that he knows all his favorite veggie meat replacements, only likes tofu when I cook it, and now he's found that it's caused him to develop a mild lactose intolerance. Me: 1, John's body: 0

I hope that in my continual journey to shape the person I want to be in the future, some of you can help me find answers to the little questions, and the big ones. I look forward to learning from you all. And just maybe I'll have some knowledge and wisdom to give to you.

~Sarah
Sarah

Re: Hello vegan world!

Postby Shiva » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:10 am

Welcome, Sarah! I'm really proud of you. All the time, but especially so right now.
~Shiva , Chief Troublemaker
If this post was edited, it was probably for spelling.
Shiva

Twitter handle: ShivaWolfe

Postby vegematic » Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:01 pm

Welcome Sarah! I'm looking forward to getting to know you here. I can sympathize with you on the bread challenge...what is all that dairy doing in something that only needs to be flour, yeast, and water?

I'm interested in this idea:
Sarah wrote: only likes tofu when I cook it, and now he's found that it's caused him to develop a mild lactose intolerance. Me: 1, John's body: 0
~Sarah

Is there a reason to think that the tofu in fact caused the lactose intolerance? I haven't heard of this connection before.
I just walked. I was very happy.
-Bill Bryson.
vegematic

Postby Sarah » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:54 pm

Ha! Perhaps I could have worded that better. a.)He only likes tofu when I cook it, and b.)I don't use milk or keep it around, and he's been living off of soy milk for years. He just can't do actual milk anymore. I doubt this is related to the tofu. Though that would be an interesting weapon for the cause.
Sarah

Postby gladcow » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:37 pm

my guess is the milk intolerance was always there, but he was really used to it. My intolerance "got worse" when I gave up milk. But, the way I look at it is, I feel less sick all the time, so I'm just used to feeling better now. eh?

HI! Welcome welcome welcome.

I think the gradual approach is a great way to make a meaningful habit. Probably because it's the way we did it :p
everyone's right and no one is sorry, that's the start and the end of the story
gladcow

Postby vegematic » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:46 pm

Oh, now I get what you're saying, Sarah. I was also L-O veg for several years, gradually tapering off my use of eggs and some dairy but not with a conscious view toward becoming vegan. Then one day I just decided I was vegan. Lots of us did the gradual thing.
I just walked. I was very happy.
-Bill Bryson.
vegematic

Postby Raiem » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:12 pm

Welcome Sarah! I took the gradual approach as well. I just did milk and yogurt for a long time, some cheese but not much. Then one day, all the things that my brother, VegeTexan, had said to me clicked into place and TADA..vegan.
Just what you want to be, you'll be in the end--Justin Hayward
Raiem

Postby Shiva » Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:21 am

Sarah is currently giving atomx the Vegan-Friendly tour of LA. :envious:
Shiva

Postby Ariann » Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:49 pm

Seriously. LA veganity is amazing (the rest of LA is kind of bleh though). I'm thinking of doing a San Diego/LA visit in the beginning of the summer to see family.
Ariann

Postby Shiva » Tue May 29, 2012 1:26 am

O HAI btw Sarah is t0ally vegan now. :D
Shiva

Next

Return to New and/or Transitioning Vegans