Vegan Ethos

...a real forum.

Recommended Reading for New Vegans

Welcome! We love new vegans, and we are here to help.

Recommended Reading for New Vegans

Postby Shiva » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:27 am

Let's help out the new kids! I'd like to do two things here:

1) Post reading recommendations for new vegans. Cookbooks, nutrition books, etc. What was helpful to you when you were new to veganism? What do you wish that you had read when you were a new vegan? Not just books, but links to good reading material online would be helpful as well.

2) If you have any good books for new vegans that you no longer need, consider donating them to a new vegan. I'm open to suggestions on how to coordinate that, btw. We can collect stuff in one location, and send books to people on request/loan...or we can have a database of who has what to loan out or donate, and a librarian-type person can coordinate the requesting and sending of books. Anyone want to volunteer to take that on? :D
~Shiva , Chief Troublemaker
If this post was edited, it was probably for spelling.
Shiva

Twitter handle: ShivaWolfe

Re: Recommended Reading for New Vegans

Postby matryoshka » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:53 pm

I really like both of these ideas, shiva. I do have a few cookbooks I am getting rid of and I would love to donate them. As for the first part, I'll post some ideas later- gotta get to class now!

eta:
my first vegan cookbook was la dolce vegan, by sarah kramer. for me that was a really good book to start with. there are a lot of simple and familiar recipes, none of which are intimidating for a new vegan. all of sarah's books are great, but that one is still my favorite.
i joined the vegan represent forum shortly after i went vegan and the kindness, support, and knowledge of everyone there was really helpful for me.
the vegan formerly known as bekah-chan
matryoshka

Postby hedwig » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:12 am

I thought John Robbins' Diet For a New America and The Food Revolution were wonderful and so helpful. I'm also a big fan of Howard Lyman's Mad Cowboy. I think both writers come off as being very down-to-earth and earnest, and they present information in a way that's easy to understand.
hedwig

Postby Emiloid » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:52 am

Vegan: The New Ethics of Eating by Erik Marcus is a good one. It covers the basics in a really readable way. The Vegan Sourcebook by Joanne Stepaniak and Becoming Vegan by Vesanto Melina and Brenda Davis are also excellent resources, in my opinion. I still look to them for nutritional information and general vegan-related info.
Living la vida local.
Emiloid

Postby SeitanicVegan » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:04 am

I would add The China Study by Dr. T. Colin Campbell. It's very readable and complements Lyman's Mad Cowboy very well.
SeitanicVegan

Postby southernish » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:15 am

Definitely Becoming Vegan for nutrition education. Also, Virginia Messina is teaming up with Jack Norris to publish a new vegan nutrition book set to be released this summer called Vegan for Life. I would also add Bob and Jenna Torres' Vegan Freak to the list.

For cookbooks, I also started out with Sarah Kramer. Both How It All Vegan and La Dolce Vegan contain simple, non-intimidating recipes great for beginners. The downside to those, though, is that quite a few recipes call for faux cheese and/or meat which isn't always easy for vegans to find, depending on location. I love Robin Robertson's cookbooks because nearly all of her recipes use easy-to-find ingredients (or offer suggestions on replacements for ones that may be more difficult to procure). In my house, we refer to 1,000 Vegan Recipes as "The Bible." 'Nuff said.
southernish

Twitter handle: steadierfooting

Postby Kat » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:14 am

Another vote for Vesanto Melina! I found Becoming Vegetarian at a thrift store years ago and even that book has much useful information for vegans in it.
Formerly known as Kat.
Kat

Postby bluedawg » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:28 am

i feel like a naughty vegan. i own becoming vegan but i can never bring myself to actually bother going through it.
bluedawg

Twitter handle: @veganchai

Postby Miso Vegan » Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:34 am

[quote="bluedawg";p=279]i feel like a naughty vegan. i own becoming vegan but i can never bring myself to actually bother going through it.

but you're already vegan!
Miso Vegan

Postby vegankitty » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:43 am

Cookbooks-Supermarket Vegan is good for new vegans-no special fancy ingredients and quick easy recipes that taste good.
vegankitty

Twitter handle: vegankitty

Next

Return to New and/or Transitioning Vegans