Vegan Ethos

...a real forum.

Dog Tags (dog collar ID tags)

General dog talk, not specific to vegan dogs.

Re: Dog Tags (dog collar ID tags)

Postby Dugan » Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:21 pm

They look like decent tags.

One thing they suggest that I disagree with is... They suggest some sample text, one of which is, "I'm microchipped". I disagree with using cutesy language like this in place of real information. It'd be much more useful to instead say something like, "AVID microchip xxxx" (xxx for the number). Same with tattoos. Different registering organizations exist for such identification schemes - it's much more helpful to list the organization on the tag.

I still don't have a problem with the address. I suppose that *could* happen, but I'd like to think that a. the information is so useful and the risk is so small that the benefit outweighs the risk (I have no evidence to argue either side of that), and b. any vet ought to be scanning a new dog for a chip and checking it against chipped dogs reported missing.

Speaking of which, if you have chipped your dogs, make reading the chip with a scanner part of your vet visits at least yearly.

DWA, how long have you had those tags and how do you think they're holding up?
Dugan

Postby downwithapathy » Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:18 pm

[quote="Dugan";p=4960]DWA, how long have you had those tags and how do you think they're holding up?

I just got them today, and I have to say they're (at first sight) the best tags we've ever had! The engraving is deep and dark (paint filled). Definitely high quality.

The tags arrived 1 week after I placed my order. The same day I ordered the tags, I ordered 2 Gwen Gear collars from a shop in TX. The UK tags arrived only 1 day later than the collars from TX. Super-duper fast (and free!) international shipping!

I think microchips have finally made it to my town! The big contentious political dialogue of the moment is whether or not county residence should have to license dogs and cats. The anti-people are writing all kinds of crazy, nonsensical (IMO) letters to the paper, but I think it'll happen. If that happens, dogs who are spayed/neutered and microchipped will cost less to license. I'll probably have my girlies chipped at their next annual checkup.
downwithapathy

Postby Miso Vegan » Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:39 am

Dugan, I would think the point of putting "I'm microchipped" would be to encourage the average person on the street to take the animal to a vet to get scanned. Putting the chip # and "brand" (AVID, etc) doesn't help if the average person doesn't know how to contact AVID (or even what "AVID" means), and if a vet is consulted, they can scan for the # instead of needing to look it up on a tag. When you suggest having the chip scanned yearly, is that because the chip can degrade? What are we checking for?
But really, the whole point of the microchip is for when the animal is found *without* tags. If an animal gets lost and still has its tags, then the human's contact info would be on the tags, and there's no need for a microchip!

DWA, glad to hear the tags seem so good at first blush. Ima gonna order some!
Miso Vegan

Postby downwithapathy » Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:33 am

It's my understanding that microchips can rarely move or migrate from the original site (and therefore not be detected by a vet or shelter worker who may scan only the standard spot). I have no idea if this is what Dugan's eluding to. It's just something I've read! :)

I didn't really get the "I'm microchipped!" example either. Maybe the microchip contains veterinary information not included on the tags. That way shelters will know not to re-vaccinate or whatever. *shrug*
downwithapathy

Postby Miso Vegan » Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:12 am

I wish! When the county shelter picked up the stray I take care of, they vaccinated him even though he was vaccinated - and then called me (based on the chip info).
Miso Vegan

Postby Dugan » Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:18 pm

[quote="Miso Vegan";p=4965]Dugan, I would think the point of putting "I'm microchipped" would be to encourage the average person on the street to take the animal to a vet to get scanned. Putting the chip # and "brand" (AVID, etc) doesn't help if the average person doesn't know how to contact AVID (or even what "AVID" means), and if a vet is consulted, they can scan for the # instead of needing to look it up on a tag. When you suggest having the chip scanned yearly, is that because the chip can degrade? What are we checking for?
But really, the whole point of the microchip is for when the animal is found *without* tags. If an animal gets lost and still has its tags, then the human's contact info would be on the tags, and there's no need for a microchip!

The point of putting [BrandName] microchip: [ChipNumber] is to tell who ever is looking for the chip what brand of chip they are looking for. It also means that someone without a scanner could report finding the lost animal direction to the chip company. I think "Avid microchip 25" would be just as encouraging as "I'm microchipped" and at the same time provide better information. Upthread, someone suggested a tag with a QR code. I would think that if someone were savvy enough to check a QR code with a smartphone, they'd be savvy enough to google "AVID microchip".

Another point of using the brand name is that the facility scanning for a chip may not have a universal scanner. If the facility sees a tag that says "AVID" and knows that their scanner doesn't read AVID, they'll at least know that there is a chip and might help get the animal to a facility that can scan for the chip.

I like having the chip scanned yearly to make sure it can still be found and can still be read. The failure rate and migration rates are very small but they are not zero. It's quick, it's free (if part of a physical exam), and protects against that very small failure rate.

Yes, I realize that it is redundant to have a tag with the microchip information as well as the microchip. However, the point of tags is multiple redundancies. I want to make it as likely as possible my lost animal can get back to me. As part of this, I put pairs of tags together on double-ring key chain sort of loop, then attach the loop to the collar. Even if one set falls off, the other pairs may still be attached. And yes, I know this is no help at all if the collar is lost or broken. A chip or tattoo, registered with an identification database, is the last-resort part of this system that cannot fall off.

[quote="downwithapathy";p=4966]It's my understanding that microchips can rarely move or migrate from the original site (and therefore not be detected by a vet or shelter worker who may scan only the standard spot). I have no idea if this is what Dugan's eluding to. It's just something I've read!

Yep, it's just in case the chip migrates or fails. A failure rate of "near zero" is not "zero".
Dugan

Postby vegankitty » Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:27 pm

My vet scans the whole body in case the chip has migrated when scanning the strays I bring in. Of course if it's your animal that is lost, you can't guarantee the vet or animal control worker will do that.
vegankitty

Twitter handle: vegankitty

Postby panthera » Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:27 pm

I like the "AVID microchip #" idea. It makes it that much more likely that an overworked, inexperienced shelter worker will persist in getting the correct scanner & trying to find the chip, even if it's not easily located. I remember not being able to find a chip, and a third person had to look for it. We knew it was there, that's why we kept at it.
panthera

Postby bluedawg » Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:11 am

i'm late to the party but i'll post for posterity's sake anyway.

maia only wears two tags: one ID tag with all our info, and one from the greyhound group with their info. we get rabies tags for the animals but they all live in a drawer in our house. meh.

for the kitties, and also for maia's "day care collar" (they want the dogs collar-free at day care so they don't have anything dangling; we said that was Not Okay for a greyhound and they were totally cool with our compromise), we use these tags that slide onto the collar:
http://www.boomerangtags.com/page.php?c=collartags

the engraving is deep and holds up really well. for maia's 'fancy' greyhound collars, they don't make anything wide enough at that company, so we have regular tags (the ID and the greyhound group) on a little dangler. :)

for the kitty tags, we have:
FINLEY (or AVERY, ha ha)
HELP, I'M LOST
home phone
L's cell phone

**the reason we use HELP, I'M LOST is because i actually don't think it's redundant. most people, if they see a cat outside, they figure it's supposed to be outside. i want a chance at someone realizing they're not supposed to be. :)

for maia's tags, we have:
MAIA
E & L LASTNAME
E's cell phone number
our home address

all of our animals are also microchipped, but i don't have that anywhere on the tags.
bluedawg

Twitter handle: @veganchai

Postby panthera » Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:55 pm

oohhh, now I understand why you'd write "Help, I'm lost."
panthera

PreviousNext

Return to Canine