Vegan Ethos

...a real forum.

Advice on crates (actually for a mouse, as you will see...)

General dog talk, not specific to vegan dogs.

Advice on crates (actually for a mouse, as you will see...)

Postby panthera » Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:51 am

Bobcat-the-mouse needs to vacate his room so that we can sublet it to someone who pays rent. The remaining rooms with doors are the bathroom, which is apparently too humid (also, Bob is pretty musky, which could dissuade many potential renters); the sunroom, which is too cold; and our room. I am adamant that Goldthwaite-the-cat not be kept out of our bedroom. His flop-and-cuddle is too big a part of my relationship with him to sacrifice. :heartbreak:

Bob has a very secure cage, with glass sides & firmly latching screen top, and Gold doesn't have a strong prey drive. Still, Panthimo doesn't feel comfortable just making his cage difficult for Gold to get to. I mean, he's a cat, so that's hard to do anyway. :ninja:

My clever solution is to put Bob's entire cage inside of a big dog crate!

So I need advice on what to look for and where to find it. Must
  1. either be large enough so that Gold can't reach through & scratch a hole in the top for Bob to climb out of (he is hell-bent on escaping, although we do let him out sometimes) OR have sides that Gold can't get his paws through;
  2. and have a very large door for us to get Bob's cage in/out of easily. His cage is 31"x13"x13.

Could I find such a crate on craigslist or some comparable doggy list?
panthera

Re: Advice on crates (actually for a mouse, as you will see.

Postby Dugan » Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:23 pm

I can't speak for craigslist, but -

A soft-sided crate would do what you're looking for. They are usually made of some very rugged form of mesh small enough to prevent cat paws from reaching in.

I don't know how large a crate you'd need to fit Bob's entire cage inside. All of my rigid dog crates (wire or vari-kennel) have enough space that a cat has no trouble at all reaching through. There might be a way to rig a covering around the sides that would prevent a cat paw... attach wood, or maybe use an old bed sheet to make a taut screen?

Good luck!
Dugan

Postby panthera » Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:04 am

Thanks, Dugan. You were the first person that came to mind for advice!
panthera

Postby panthera » Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:05 am

Dugan, what do you think of trying to construct something out of fencing material? It doesn't have to be sturdy enough to move anywhere. It is just to block the cat from reaching the mouse tank.
panthera

Postby Emiloid » Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:38 am

I was going to suggest building something. Maybe you know someone with experience making stuff like this? Do you have a closet that could have a door removed and switched with wire or something?
Living la vida local.
Emiloid

Postby Dugan » Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:20 pm

Good idea, Emiloid.

I also wondered if a play pen might be large enough to prevent the cat from being able to touch the cage. Or, is there a way to make sure the screen top stays attached better?
Dugan

Postby panthera » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:35 am

I didn't realize those replies were there; thanks & sorry not to acknowledge before! It seems that there is "pet-proof" screen material. I'm going to try to make a screen that will fit neatly over the present screen, so there is a second barrier that is stronger than the first. I'll have to be careful to ensure that the top still slides in the groove to click into place.

Bob took to jumping a foot in the air, grabbing the screen w/his paws, letting his front paws go, and swinging to dismount like a gymnast. I think that's how he injured himself and earned a visit to the emergency room. Turns out he has a major case of kyphosis. His cervical spine looks like a roller coaster!
panthera

Return to Canine