Vegan Ethos

...a real forum.

Extra prescription cat foods: OK to use for others?

Extra prescription cat foods: OK to use for others?

Postby panthera » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:22 am

A neighbor gave me some cans of S/O to donate to a shelter, saying that non-urinary-issue cats shouldn't eat S/O because it's high in sodium (to induce thirst to encourage drinking water). Another neighbor has extra C/D because their cat is switching to a grain-free diet. Since only 1/3 of our family is earning any money, I'm wondering about using them to supplement Goldy's food (just mixing some in, so it's not a complete switch).

I read somewhere that S/D is not good to feed other cats but C/D is OK. I'm inclined to think that as long as it's not a long-term thing, and it's done only a little at a time, it should be fine.

I waited on donating the S/O because none of the cats at the shelter are ever given any urinary tract specialty diets, and I wanted to find someone who specifically needed it. I actually offered a can to the second neighbor, since their cat was on C/D, but then their vet switched him to grain-free b/c now he's pre-diabetic. And panthimo had given a can to Goldy before I explained the situation to him. So there are only two cans left of the S/O.
panthera

Re: Extra prescription cat foods: OK to use for others?

Postby vegankitty » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:55 am

I think it would be okay. I know in muticat households it can be hard to keep cats out of each others food and I know when Panda, a cat witj urinary tract issues was on it other cats ate some of his leftovers. If he's otherwise healthy and it's onky two cans I'd do it.
vegankitty

Twitter handle: vegankitty

Postby Miso Vegan » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:47 am

Back when I had India and The Honeycat, India was prescribed a special diet (first CD, then WD) for frequent UTIs, but both cats ate it. The Honeycat who was <i> not</i> prescribed the special food, far outlived India.

Now, Rupert was prescribed CD for kidney stones, but both he and Misha M'koo eat it because they share. The vet was unconcerned.

These are my two anecdotes that have very little to do with your question. :/
Miso Vegan

Postby panthera » Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:57 am

But they both have to do with non-C/D prescribed cats eating C/D, which is what I asked about. How do they have very little to do with my question?

thanks, vk & mv. I think Gold's going to get some C/D & S/O.
panthera

Postby Miso Vegan » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:25 pm

Because my anecdotes had nothing to do with SO and SD. And Rupert and Misha have only been eating CD for about a year, which doesn't prove much about the safety. Misha's young, and eating it for the rest of Rupert's life could be potentially problematic.
Miso Vegan

Postby vegankitty » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:37 pm

My anecdote was SO or whatever the urinary diet is.

I don't think she has a lot? I imagine if it's not poisonous and it's only a few meals it would be okay, sodium or not.
vegankitty

Twitter handle: vegankitty

Return to Feline