Vegan Ethos

...a real forum.

Totally unofficial advice: diarrhea on a Sunday?

Totally unofficial advice: diarrhea on a Sunday?

Postby panthera » Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:59 pm

The main question: Would hookworms or roundworms cause diarrhea, and if they are the problem, would Revolution actually take care of the diarrhea itself? It probably wouldn't, especially since the gastrointestinal tract is probably irritated at this point.

Anyway, I'm trying to figure out what to do about Goldy. He's pooping outside the box (pudding consistency), there was some blood on it, the other day. He had chronic diarrhea at the shelter, but it's been better since we adopted him in October, 9mo ago. Well. He was last seen by the shelter vet in March, ~4 mos ago, so we haven't taken him to a regular vet yet. Especially since he freaks out easily, and I am unemployed. :/

The shelter clinic supervisor won't let us ask the vet. We probably just need to have a fecal sample examined, but their microscope isn't working. So now we have to wait til tomorrow, since the regular hospital is closed on Sundays, and schedule a regular exam.

The shelter is willing to give us a dose of Revolution, since it was already recommended by their vet. From the online info, it seems that it should expel whatever worms are there. If that does it, I'd rather not schedule an exam yet. They're likely to do a fecal and prescribe Flagyl. He's acting fine, maybe eating a bit less but it's also been really hot lately.

Opinions?
panthera

Re: Totally unofficial advice: diarrhea on a Sunday?

Postby panthera » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:50 pm

We were able to get an appt for today, and an exam was $52, which was better than I'd expected. They're having us start on a Plant pro-biotic & enzymes thing, and Flagyl later if necessary. No parasites in the fecal sample, but some Clostridium on a direct smear. They clipped his nails, combed out a mat, and checked his anal glands, though! :up: AND they're copying his entire record for me, since the shelter wouldn't give me a copy of his records directly. :huh: Maybe some sort of liability protection?

Anyway, I think we're all set. :)
panthera

Postby Dugan » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:42 pm

That's weird, I've never had a problem with a shelter or rescue agency not providing a copies of all the vet records.

Sounds like you found a good vet.
Dugan

Postby panthera » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:45 pm

Yeah, except I didn't like the shoddiness of the exam. She listened to his heart but didn't take a heart rate until I asked her what it was. She didn't palpate, or I missed it if she did. She almost forgot to do the fecal, but I think that sort of thing is human, if unfortunate for a vet who is dealing with diarrhea in a patient.
panthera

Return to Feline