Vegan Ethos

...a real forum.

the kitties of VErf: pictures, please!

the kitties of VErf: pictures, please!

Postby bluedawg » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:56 pm

we can't let the dogs grab all the attention now, can we? show off your kittehs here!

this is avery (aka bluedawg). he will be 12(! i can't believe it!) in march. we adopted him when he was a year old, from a rural shelter outside of austin. he is the rockinest cat in the world. nothing fazes him. he's affectionate, intelligent, hilarious, a great big brother to finley, and i have never known another cat like him. he is comfortable with anyone and anything, and he is squishy like a ferret.

this is finley. he will be 8(! seriously! how did this happen?) in april. we adopted him when he was 9 or 10 weeks old, from the humane society i volunteer at here. he is extremely smart and therefore a troublemaker. he has a tiny scratchy meow and he's lately added a teensy squeak to the repertoire. he LOVES his brother avery, and he LOVES his people. he does not really love maia. he has had several crazy health scares (one that nearly killed him, and then miraculously reversed itself), and he is wrapped completely around my heart with all four of his legs.

bluedawg

Twitter handle: @veganchai

Re: the kitties of VErf: pictures, please!

Postby DasTeufulNagatier » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:09 pm

Great pictures and cute kittehs! Love 'em!
DasTeufulNagatier

Postby debiguity » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:24 am

Very cute kitties bluedawg! It's funny, because I've heard their stories for years, and I think this is the first time I've seen pics!

Tempest is the Princess, and she's 12 now. I adopted her from the humane society in Phoenix when she was about 13 weeks old. The volunteer working there that day asked, when I told her I wanted to adopt her, whether I realized that Tempest had a crooked tail. It's kinked along the whole length (a genetic thing, apparently), which felt weird at first, but now feels normal to me. When the volunteer asked, I had horrifying visions of this meaning she had some dreaded disease that would end in a very short life, but it really just meant that people were more likely to return her for not being "perfect". Pretty sad statement on those kinds of people, and pretty short-sighted of them too - how could a princess be anything other than perfect?

Tristan joined us over Labor Day weekend, 2009. Some friends had rescued him from a sketchy situation where he was living as a feral kitten, but they were already several residents over their comfortable limit, and they needed to find him a home quickly. I decided that it was time to add to my family, and so Tristan came to live with us. He was about 3 months old, took about a minute to get comfortable with me, but remains an invisible cat to everyone else.

In April of 2010, I decided that for both Tempest and Tristan's sake, I needed to find a playmate for Tristan. Tempest wasn't thrilled to be sharing her home with Tristan, and he was pestering her quite a bit. I had always been interested in adopting "less adoptable" animals, and for somewhat less obvious reasons, both Tempest and Tristan fit that bill. I was subscribed to a blog dedicated to helping deaf animals find a home, though I wasn't specifically limiting myself to deaf cats. I knew that something like diabetes would be hard (working away from home means I'd worry about being gone for 10-12 hrs/day), but most things that make animals "less adoptable" are actually non-issues. Like Tempest's kinked tail, and Tristan's shyness. But a deaf kitten appeared on the deaf animals blog, and in the DC area. I figured that was a "sign", and so Jake came to live with us. He and Tristan have been best buddies right from the start. Of course my idea that this would lessen the pressure on Tempest was a bit naive - she's now pestered by both of them, though I do think it was the right thing to do for Tristan, and of course Jake.

Jake's a bit of a character, in that he's super athletic, daring, pretty much unstoppable. He has his own fan base, it seems, and I'm pretty sure at least half my friends on facebook really don't care what I'm up to - they just want to see the latest bit of trouble that Jake has found!

debiguity

Twitter handle: debiguity

Postby Miso Vegan » Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:55 am

Sooo cute! Guess I should figure out how to post pictures here.....
Miso Vegan

Postby SeitanicVegan » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:56 am

I loved reading these stories! Keep 'em coming!
SeitanicVegan

Postby Kat » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:59 am

OH MY GOD LOOK AT JAKE!!! And all the others. This thread made me melt.
Formerly known as Kat.
Kat

Postby Miso Vegan » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:01 am

Misha M'koo attacking her favorite palm plant.
Miso Vegan

Postby Miso Vegan » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:35 am

And here's Rupert:

nomming on a catnip toy from vegankitty.
Miso Vegan

Postby Shiva » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:52 am

So many great kitteh pictures! Bad misha in the plant and Jake on the door are the best. And Avery's long arm!

This is Mister Gentleman. He is a former stray. He is a cat, and therefore I do not understand much of anything about him. He tolerates me and Syama, hates Grace, and is very fond of Atom. He loves to hide and then leap out at people. He will bite you.

~Shiva , Chief Troublemaker
If this post was edited, it was probably for spelling.
Shiva

Twitter handle: ShivaWolfe

Postby Dugan » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:47 pm

Smudge, who adores his big white dogs, has been with me the longest. I found him as a two week old stray. He is the sweetest cat in all the land. He also likes to run laps on top of the upper kitchen cabinets.

PushPin remains with us in spirit. She came along with RnR when he moved in with me. We lost her in recently.

Mok-sha came home maybe a year after Dugie. She is known as Itty-Bitty-Skitty-Kitty because she's tiny (4.5 lbs) and neurotic. Seriously. Woody Allen has nothing on this cat. She's also a cuddle slut for self-petting if you leave a hand available for her to rub on. Or even if you don't!

Last and anything but least is Simba, the most recent adoptee and the only animal RnR and I have brought home together. He is interested, alert, and always ready for a scritch or a game. he likes hanging out on his cat condo near the kitchen doorway and swatting at everyone (dogs included) who walks by.
Dugan

Next

Return to Feline