Vegan Ethos

...a real forum.

I want to talk about my cats

Re: I want to talk about my cats

Postby Shiva » Thu May 30, 2013 8:08 am

Wow, this thread has been quiet for so long that some of y'all may not even know that we adopted a shelter kitty last summer. She's a fucking lunatic.
~Shiva , Chief Troublemaker
If this post was edited, it was probably for spelling.
Shiva

Twitter handle: ShivaWolfe

Postby Shiva » Thu May 30, 2013 8:45 am

So, there was this semi-feral kitten living in our old apartment complex (in Van Nuys, in the San Fernando Valley, aka Hell) and we talked ourselves into trying to catch and adopt her because we thought that it might be good for Syama (our crazy Aussiexwolf mix) to have a kitten. Okay, that sounds kind of wacky when I say it out loud. BUT. Syama is a worrier, a herder, and a nurturer. One vet that we had a behavioral consult with a couple of years ago had actually suggested that we get chickens for him... from chickens to A KITTEN doesn't seem such a big leap when you are looking at a kitten. Kittens make you think all kinds of crazy things. Like, hey, two humans, two dogs, and one cat in a 400 sf studio apartment is just not enough. We need a kitten!

Seriously. Go look at kittens and then come back here and tell me you didn't try to rationalize adopting one. (Whoops. Preaching to the kitten-loving choir!)

Anywho. Turns out, after a couple of weeks of trying to befriend said feral kitten and talking with her non-guardians (the keepers of the cat who had the litter she was a part of... the story just gets longer and more frustrating) we gave up on trying to help her. :(

But...we had already purchased kitten food, so obviously we still had to get a kitten, right? Off we went to the local shelter, where there was literally a room full of black kittens. I think there was maybe one tabby in there. We tried to pick a kitten, but seriously, when you're in a tiny room with a bunch of identical little fluffballs all doing cute kitten things, how do you pick one? If there was a reason that we picked her, I don't remember what it was.

Back home at our teeny apartment, Syama proceeded to carefully avoid being anywhere near his new kitten at all costs. Kitten instead attached herself to Grace O'Malley (our goofball labby mix), and for a few weeks they slept together and kitten ate out of Grace's bowl with her. Then, one day... kitten appeared to be ... um ... trying to nurse? From Grace's butt? They haven't been BFFs since then.* Kitten and Mr. Gentleman the cat get along GREAT, they wrestle and clean each other's heads several times a day.

Kitten is now about a year old. We named her after MCA, who had just passed at the time that we adopted her. She is a tiny little thing, and super shy when non-family is around. She plays fetch(!), which she inititated and trained me to play with her. She is a hardcore parkour kitty, loves to run up walls and doorways for the hell of it. She also likes to go under blankets, rugs, laundry, etc and then "sneak up" on Mr. Gentleman. She has a perpetually startled look on her face, and often leaves her tongue sticking out.

So, that's the story of MCA Badkitten. I'll post some pics soon. :cat:

*I gotta give Grace props for handling this situation really well. She just got up, very slowly, and walked away. And never, ever let MCA snuggle with her again. Ever.
Shiva

Postby Shiva » Thu May 30, 2013 9:11 pm

Day one: Image
Shiva

Postby Shiva » Thu May 30, 2013 9:12 pm

Sharing!

Shiva

Postby Shiva » Thu May 30, 2013 9:15 pm

They don't do this any more.

Shiva

Postby Shiva » Thu May 30, 2013 9:15 pm

...and many more! Here.
Shiva

Postby Dugan » Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:08 am

Aaawwwww!!!! Does she do parkour across the bed at 2a?
Dugan

Postby Shiva » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:46 pm

No way! Bedtime (which is 2 a.m.-ish) is FETCH TIME. As soon as she sees me get into bed, she races to get her fetch toy* and brings it to me. She is a fetch FIEND - every single retrieve is a race, though I don't know who or what she is racing. And she'll find it, even when my aim sucks and it lands in a pile of stuff or up on a shelf or whatever. Oddly, there is one small rug that she has difficulty finding it on. I can clearly see it (her fetch toy is partly orange) but it's invisible to her. It reminds me of Guile hunting for his bright orange frisbee in the green grass, nose to the ground, completely unable to find it by sight.

*MCA's fetch toy is a piece that Grace tore off of a dog toy. There are several pieces, but only two or three of a certain shape and size that for whatever reason pleases the Badkitten, and she will not play fetch with anything else.
Shiva

Postby Dugan » Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:03 pm

Excellent reminder that the visual capabilities of other animals is not like our own!

I've known a couple of fetching kitties. RnR's PushPin was nuts for - you guessed it - push pins. She'd come running if one was tapped on something, she'd fetch them, she'd even take them out of the wall, jumping up if she had to. When I was a kid, Frisky adored fetching small balls of crumpled foil.

It's interesting that Badkitten chooses only those few pieces, all from the same toy. I wish I could ask her why, why those pieces? Why not that piece?
Dugan

Postby Shiva » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:47 pm

I've asked her. She's not talking. :blank:

I love that having MCA around has made Mr. Gentleman more playful. He's about 3-4x her size, so it makes for good entertainment.

I left out the part of the story where MCA got her second name! She developed a serious fondness for peeing on ONE SPOT on the couch, and anywhere on our bed. [GROSS STORY: One time she peed on the bed next to me while I was sleeping. Them Syama came up on the bed and flopped down next to the pee puddle, which splashed on my face, waking me up in about the worst way ever. At first I thought Syama was peeing on me! I was all like WHAT THE HELL and then I realized what had actually happened and I was still all like WHAT THE HELL!]

We tried all of the usual tactics, nothing helped until we took the lid off of the covered litter box. She never peed on the couch or the bed again. but we still call her MCA Badkitten because... well, because kittens are just BAD. :heart:
Shiva

PreviousNext

Return to Feline