Vegan Ethos

...a real forum.

I want to talk about my cats

Re: I want to talk about my cats

Postby Shiva » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:13 pm

MCA's most pronounced characteristic is fearlessness. Plus, she's one of those cats who seems to enjoy scaring herself. She could never be an outdoor cat because she would not last five minutes. She'd probably tackle a moving car.

Back when she was tiny, she attempted to eat from Syama's bowl while he was eating his food. She'd been sharing Grace's food from Day 1 with us, so it makes sense that she'd try it with him - what makes less sense is that she did not back off when he growled. I intervened, scooping her up and moving her to Grace's bowl or (crazy idea!) her own food. One day (we had only had her about a week or so, I think) I wasn't there, or quick enough, and Syama bit MCA. On the head. SCARY. MCA shot off and went behind the couch. Atom had to crawl around and fish her out. She was scared, and had a bloody nose and a puffy eye. No skin was broken, and she recovered quickly enough that we decided to wait and see rather than rush to the vet. The next day, she appeared physically fine and was completely back to her badkitten self.

She has never again tried to eat from Syama's bowl. She still eats with Grace sometimes, but it's more of a token gesture, it seems - she'll take one piece of kibble and eat it, and then just hang out with Grace while she eats. Which, honestly, seems to make Grace nervous. :uhoh:

Here's the super crazy part: every day at mealtime, Syama and Grace have a rug that they lie down on and wait quietly while their food is prepared. This is difficult for Syama, but he's gotten pretty good at it and I am super proud of him. Enter MCA Badkitten - the same kitten that Syama tried to kill for getting near his food bowl. What does she do while he is lying on his spot anxiously trying not to explode with pent up nervous energy? She runs by his face as fast as she can, as close as she dares - which is pretty close. She strafes him. EVERY. TIME. Every meal. Every day. Sometimes she runs straight at his face and then veers off at the last second. She never tires of this game. He's slowly learning to put up with it - we have to work with him and how he reacts to this, because you can't train crazy out of a cat.

Sarah says that if MCA was a human person, she'd be a streaker. :laugh:
~Shiva , Chief Troublemaker
If this post was edited, it was probably for spelling.
Shiva

Twitter handle: ShivaWolfe

Postby Dugan » Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:02 am

Sounds like MCA has a lot in common with Missy. She just ran from the dining room to the opposite end of the house and back again, leaping over Boo twice and not hitting the floor for more than 4 strides. She still climbs the chain link of the kennel and hunts cars as they arrive and depart.
Dugan

Postby vegankitty » Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:36 am

We lost our senior kitty Chuckles a couple of months back to a fast growing bone tumor on his skull. We weren't planning on getting another cat but my foster Desi had been in the vet since last May so we took her in. Here new name is Daisy. She's supposed to be a foster but she's five, has IBD and a heart murmur and pees inappropriately so I think we will be keeping her. Pictures to come!
vegankitty

Twitter handle: vegankitty

Postby Shiva » Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:41 pm

I was sad to hear about Chuckles. How's Daisy settling in?
Shiva

Postby quagga » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:34 am

Shiva wrote:I left out the part of the story where MCA got her second name! She developed a serious fondness for peeing on ONE SPOT on the couch, and anywhere on our bed. [GROSS STORY: One time she peed on the bed next to me while I was sleeping. Them Syama came up on the bed and flopped down next to the pee puddle, which splashed on my face, waking me up in about the worst way ever. At first I thought Syama was peeing on me! I was all like WHAT THE HELL and then I realized what had actually happened and I was still all like WHAT THE HELL!]

We tried all of the usual tactics, nothing helped until we took the lid off of the covered litter box. She never peed on the couch or the bed again. but we still call her MCA Badkitten because... well, because kittens are just BAD. :heart:

I shamed myself on Facebook during that incident, explaining how to deal with a bed-pissing cat. Because firsthand information is better than secondhand information.
quagga

Postby Shiva » Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:10 am

I appreciate the sacrifice of your dignity in for the sake of my couch and bed and sanity, quagga. :kiss:

Wow, I've missed talking about beastie antics and practicing amateur animal behavioral science with you, Dugan!
Shiva

Postby vegankitty » Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:44 am

Daisy is doing okay. She is crated when we are sleeping and aren't home due to the peeing. She's so skinny! The IBD prevents her from gaining weight.
vegankitty

Postby vegankitty » Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:27 pm

Charlie, our kitty with a neurological disorder, has a mammary tumor. We having it removed and biopsied but until then we won't know if it's malignant or not. Apparently 85% of mammary tumors in cats are malignant though.
vegankitty

Postby quagga » Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:12 pm

Tori peed on my Pikachu pillow last night. So uncivilized.
quagga

Postby Dugan » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:14 pm

VK, I'll had hopes for Charlie's results to my own hopes.

Quagga, shouldn't it now be called a Pee-kachu? :laugh: You could try soaking and then washing in a solution of white vinegar & water to help get the smell out.
Dugan

PreviousNext

Return to Feline