Vegan Ethos

...a real forum.

I want to talk about my cats

Re: I want to talk about my cats

Postby gladcow » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:03 pm

so, we have a new kitty? the cat across the street has adopted us. Her name is Peggy, and she has three legs and is tiny, like a perpetual kitten.

[backstory] Bill, our long standing cat, lives outside. He prefers it. We feed him outside. He doesn't try to get inside.

Peggy now hangs out by the backdoor with Bill, but ACTIVELY TRIES TO GET INSIDE. I feel like a meanie shoo-ing a tiny tripod kitteh. But, my son is allergic, and we're not really in a place to add more animals right now. We feed her, and pet her, and stuff. I am increasingly worried about why she won't go home.

Any advice, o cat peoples?
everyone's right and no one is sorry, that's the start and the end of the story
gladcow

Postby quagga » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:29 pm

Dugan wrote:Quagga, shouldn't it now be called a Pee-kachu? :laugh: You could try soaking and then washing in a solution of white vinegar & water to help get the smell out.

Yes on Pee-kachu, no on restoring the pillow, which we trashed. We did wash the pillowcase (which some of my favorite VeRF houseguests may remember as the pillowcase of honor, which it will no longer be, since I have outed its sordid history here).
quagga

Postby quagga » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:36 pm

gladcow wrote:so, we have a new kitty? the cat across the street has adopted us. Her name is Peggy, and she has three legs and is tiny, like a perpetual kitten.

[backstory] Bill, our long standing cat, lives outside. He prefers it. We feed him outside. He doesn't try to get inside.

Peggy now hangs out by the backdoor with Bill, but ACTIVELY TRIES TO GET INSIDE. I feel like a meanie shoo-ing a tiny tripod kitteh. But, my son is allergic, and we're not really in a place to add more animals right now. We feed her, and pet her, and stuff. I am increasingly worried about why she won't go home.

Any advice, o cat peoples?

She doesn't go home because you probably give her more quality attention than her own humans. Also, your house probably smells very interesting and better than her own home for whatever tickles their feline sensibility.

Are you up for rehoming her? Otherwise, we have an outside kitty who gets to come in at night and sleep in our laundry room. It rained this morning (weird weather for June in Chico) and he decided to stay in all day, but that's not a solution if you don't have a room like that.
quagga

Postby Dugan » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:39 pm

Just because she visits doesn't mean her home is bad, though I know some folks would say that anyone who lets a cat roam is automatically a bad home. We have a cat who visits us nearly every day, begs to come in, and slurps up attention, but I know his people and that he's got a great and very caring home.

Since you know where she lives, could you talk to the people? Explain that she likes to hang out with your cat and that you like to know if she has, oh I don't know, like a feline leukemia vaccine? Because you want Bill to be safe if she might be carrying something but you don't want to stop them hanging out together? And this might let you get a read on what kind of home they provide?
Dugan

Postby Shiva » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:42 pm

Dugan wrote:Just because she visits doesn't mean her home is bad, though I know some folks would say that anyone who lets a cat roam is automatically a bad home. We have a cat who visits us nearly every day, begs to come in, and slurps up attention, but I know his people and that he's got a great and very caring home.

My son's cat (Rondo) used to disappear for a coupla days every now and then. He'd come back a pound heavier and smelling like flowers. :laugh:
~Shiva , Chief Troublemaker
If this post was edited, it was probably for spelling.
Shiva

Twitter handle: ShivaWolfe

Postby gladcow » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:50 pm

Oh, don't get me wrong. Bill is a roamer from time to time, of his own volition. (although, since he's been outside 100% of the time, he roams WAY less and for WAY shorter times).

She lives across the street and hasn't gone home in 5 days :/ This has never happened before. Her eye is kinda goopy. She has basically taken over Bill's cat house & food. I sorta know her people, but would feel weird saying something. I'm socially awkward. Maybe I can make my kids do it? (they have kids their ages)

The possibility of illness is what's keeping us from letting her stay inside short term. Well, and my son't allergies.
gladcow

Postby gladcow » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:50 pm

thank you for listening to me process this, guys.
gladcow

Postby Dugan » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:56 pm

Good call on not letting her in. I think a vet check is a critical point before which an animal shouldn't be introduced into your population of companion animals.

Mok-sha has a perpetually goopy eye due to an impacted tear duct.

Do your kids socialize with them anyway? I'll agree, it's a tough conversation. When I have had that kind of talk, I find it easier to do from concern of safety for my own animals. It avoids blaming or shaming and helps me get an idea of whether they think such concern is warranted. If they have a roaming kitty and scoff at the idea of vaccines, then... Not such a good home.
Dugan

Postby quagga » Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:19 am

Sometimes, as I dole out cat treats to the crew, I ask them to beg -- they get up on their haunches, prairie-dog style, and open their mouths. And as I pop the cat treat into their open mouths, I feel as though I'm doling out communion wafers. Amen. /sacrilege
quagga

Postby Shiva » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:15 am

Holy noms.
~Shiva , Chief Troublemaker
If this post was edited, it was probably for spelling.
Shiva

Twitter handle: ShivaWolfe

PreviousNext

Return to Feline