Vegan Ethos

...a real forum.

What's the trick to wet food?

What's the trick to wet food?

Postby stegan » Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:31 pm

So because of skin allergy problems my furry little friend was having, the vet recommended changing him to a high-protein, low-carb diet, as well as introducing more wet food as an accompaniment to the dry.

Thing is, Horatio hasn't had wet food for as long as I've known him, and it's been a difficult introduction thus far. The real problem lies in me not knowing when is a good time to give it to him. When I think he's hungry, I'll put a spoonful on the plate and one of two things will happen. He'll either take a few little bites and then try to bury it, or he'll just ignore it. Either way, I end up wasting a good amount as it just dries up on the plate. When he wants it, he scarfs it down, but our schedules are off or something.

Suggestions?
stegan

Twitter handle: stegan

Re: What's the trick to wet food?

Postby debiguity » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:06 pm

Is the dry food available all day? It could just be that he's not all that hungry when you put the wet food down if he eats here and there all day. It will also depend on his food drive. And some cats love wet food, others hate it. I only feed wet food, and they all scarf it down as soon as I put it down. I think part of that has to do with the fact that they only eat twice a day. Plus two of the three have really high food drives and will immediately eat everyone else's food if there's any left, so the third, who has a low food drive, will eat right away, though I don't think he'd be like that if he was the only cat. (Sometimes if he's stressed he won't eat much of it, so I'll put it in the fridge for later.)

If Horatio does seem to like the wet food, but maybe doesn't have a high food drive, I think just being regular about when you put it down will ensure that he saves some appetite for the wet food. If he doesn't like the wet food it gets a lot harder. I've also known some cats who are extremely picky about what food they eat, and what they were happy with the day before they might turn their nose up at the next day.
debiguity

Twitter handle: debiguity

Postby stegan » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:45 pm

The dry food is available all day, mostly because he is absolutely unbearable if his food bowl is empty. It's not that he needs to eat all the time, he just seems to want to know it's there. I think I'll try being more consistent about when I put it down and see what happens.
stegan

Twitter handle: stegan

Postby bluedawg » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:42 pm

i feel for you, stegan. both avery and finley turn their noses up at wet food; it's like we put poison down for them to eat.
bluedawg

Twitter handle: @veganchai

Postby Mamaquilla » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:54 pm

Hey Stegan,

It may just take some patience, time, and willingess to waste some food in the process. We recently had this dilemma with all three cats. I was given FREE FOOD and they simply did not have a choice. They have eaten wet food in the past and loved it BUT this new stuff is "funny flavors". We give them food at about the same time everyday, leave it for them, they eat it or not, if it gets gross, it is thrown out or they get it for next meal. This has worked BUT it took about a week of them being quite unhappy and stalking us daily. Truth be told, was a bit fearful for my fingers and toes. ;] They also had NO backup food, so NO dry food to go to instead, etc.

Good luck, hope you are able to get him transitioned.
Mamaquilla

Postby Shiva » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:18 am

You have to be super-careful when letting cats "go hungry" until they choose to eat a new food! If they're overweight at all, it can be risky for them.

Fun fact: Because cats don't vomit easily or comfortably (unlike dogs, who can do reverse peristalsis at will! How cool/gross is that?) they have also evolved to be incredibly cautious eaters. Okay, maybe that wasn't really a very fun fact.

If Horatio loves his dry food, you could try grinding some of that into a powder and sprinkling it on or mixing it into his wet food.
~Shiva , Chief Troublemaker
If this post was edited, it was probably for spelling.
Shiva

Twitter handle: ShivaWolfe

Postby vegankitty » Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:26 pm

My cats seem to throw up just fine.
vegankitty

Twitter handle: vegankitty

Postby debiguity » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:57 pm

Shiva wrote:You have to be super-careful when letting cats "go hungry" until they choose to eat a new food! If they're overweight at all, it can be risky for them.

This is true, though the start of the danger is if they have eaten literally nothing for 48-72 hours. If a cat hasn't eaten in 72 hours, get them to the vet. They'll do blood work and you can get an appetite stimulant. Fatty liver disease is the danger there, and of course the lack of appetite becomes self-perpetuating because they will be feeling worse and not want to eat.

But it's probably not going to be an issue with cats who are healthy but being picky about eating, because they won't completely starve themselves for that length of time, just something to think about and keep an eye on.
debiguity

Twitter handle: debiguity

Postby vegankitty » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:13 pm

And if they aren't overweight to begin with it shouldn't be a problem.

It's really healthier if cats don't have access to food all the time. They will hate the change at first and probably be real pains in the ass but but they will adjust.

We got our cats to eat more wet and less kibble by mixing the kibble into the wet and then decreasing the amount of kibble and raising the amount of wet. I would skip kibble completely but it's cheaper than wet and I go through a lot of cat food.
vegankitty

Postby vegankitty » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:15 pm

I can't edit my posts yet.

What kind of food are you giving him? Charlie has bad allergies so we feed her Natural Balance LID formula.She's a lot better than when we adopted her-she had scabs all over her head from scratching herself, poor kitty.
vegankitty

Next

Return to Feline