Vegan Ethos

...a real forum.

What's the trick to wet food?

Re: What's the trick to wet food?

Postby gladcow » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:42 pm

DOOD you tOtally just made me not have to do a study. Horatio solves it for me :D
everyone's right and no one is sorry, that's the start and the end of the story
gladcow

Postby stegan » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:27 am

If he could be roused from his slumber on top of his scratching box, I am certain he would take a bow. :)
stegan

Twitter handle: stegan

Postby bluedawg » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:48 am

avery is taking to the wet food okay... we're starting out by just giving him about a tablespoon (before putting down his dry food) and he's checking it out right away and eating most of it. i shall take that as a cautiously optimistic kind of sign. we started with the wellness, will try the k/d when this can is finished up.

oh, and thanks for the tips, Shiva! once we started storing the food in the fridge, i've been microwaving it for 5 or 6 seconds before giving it to him.
bluedawg

Twitter handle: @veganchai

Postby JasperKat » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:27 am

I am completely flabbergasted that there are cats out there that don't like canned food! My 3 go bonkers on the rare occasions that I give it to them, as did my childhood kitty. It never occured to me that some cats might not like it. Interesting!

-JK
JasperKat

Postby quagga » Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:01 am

When microwaving cat food be sure to stir it up thoroughly afterward to avoid hot spots. Fats and oils get really hot really fast.
quagga

Postby vegankitty » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:12 am

Also it is not healthy to give cats a lot of fish. Yes, they love it. The rescue's vet advises not more than twice a week and the all cat vet advises to not give it at all. This is a pretty good link about cat nutrition. http://www.catinfo.org/
vegankitty

Twitter handle: vegankitty

Postby debiguity » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:51 am

I was really lucky when I lived in Denver to go to a pet food shop where the women who owned and ran the place were highly educated on cat and dog nutrition. They had articles posted around the shop about wet food and fish. At the time, both things (wet food = good, fish = not so good) were the opposite of seemingly everything I'd ever heard before! So it was an eye-opener.

My cats are like JK's - noses are immersed in the food bowl before I have even set them down. They scarf up the wet food, so it's easy for me to make the choices based on things like avoiding fish. One thing that bugs me is that most brands of cat food use a lot of fish as a filler, even if the description of the food doesn't have fish, so even when it comes to cat food, there I am reading labels. Wellness is one of the few that doesn't use fish as a filler.
debiguity

Twitter handle: debiguity

Previous

Return to Feline