Vegan Ethos

...a real forum.

What's the trick to wet food?

Re: What's the trick to wet food?

Postby downwithapathy » Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:30 pm

Color me clueless, but what is the reasoning behind adding more wet food? If it is just to add moisture, have you tried moistening kibble? When I had a step-kitty, I was hyper fixated on her diet. I used to give her different foods at the same time, sort of my own in-home palatability trials. :) What I noticed is that no matter which combination of kibbles I put out, if one was moistened into kibble mush, she chose that one. Without fail.

Of course, if you're adding wet food for some ingredient-based reason, what I just said means nothing. Happy to help! :P
downwithapathy

Postby vegankitty » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:47 am

Most cat people say wet food is healthier than kibble, not just for cats with urinary tract issues but for all cats. The rescue rercommends feeding only wet as does the cat only vet. Also, limiting fish food to one meal a week.

this link sums up everything I've ever been told/read about feeding cats wet vs dry food.
vegankitty

Twitter handle: vegankitty

Postby stegan » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:31 pm

[quote="vegankitty";p=148]What kind of food are you giving him? Charlie has bad allergies so we feed her Natural Balance LID formula.She's a lot better than when we adopted her-she had scabs all over her head from scratching herself, poor kitty.

We switched him to Blue Buffalo Basics for dry food and their Wilderness for wet food. Paired with an anti-histamine, his allergies seem to have gotten a lot better.

I re-located the food so that it's nearer his dry food (we have space issues, but I found a way to make it work), and that seems to have helped, along with being more time consistent.
stegan

Twitter handle: stegan

Postby vegankitty » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:32 pm

That's great!

I forgot to post the link about wet vs dry cat food: http://www.catinfo.org/

This is a different link but has a lot of the same information.
vegankitty

Postby vegankitty » Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:09 pm

If anyone is still interested in why wet food, I've been researching kidney disease in cats and apparently a dry food diet is thought to be a leading cause. Kidney disease is the leading cause of death in cats.
vegankitty

Postby bluedawg » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:51 am

...and on that note, i have some sad news. avery appears to be in the very very very very VERY early stages of kidney malfunction. my vet is amazing and she caught it ridiculously early, so it's SUPER minor at this point (she said it was 'a far cry' from actual kidney disease), but we still need to do a little work to try and counteract it.

step one, unfortunately, is to introduce a bit of wet food into his diet. meh. this oughta be good.

i'ma start another thread about kidney bizness.
bluedawg

Twitter handle: @veganchai

Postby Shiva » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:02 pm

I came across this today (while looking for another article for bluedawg about kidney disease diets):

Transitioning Dry Food Addicts to Canned Food

This is the hard part! Cats, like children, often resist what is best for them. The key is to do it slowly and with patience. Some cats that have been on dry food their entire lives will be quite resistant to the diet change. These cats may take several weeks or longer to make the transition to a healthier diet. Others will take to it with the attitude of “finally – an appropriate diet for my species!!” For some cats, you will need to use hunger to help with the transition. However, I would not let them go longer than 24 hours without eating and some of you may ‘weaken' sooner….like I did. At that point, you may want to give them only half of what they would normally eat, just to keep hunger as an incentive. I prefer to try to ‘convince' them that a high quality canned food really is good for them, rather than to starve them into it. Here are some tricks for the stubborn ones:

* If your cat has been eating dry food on a free-choice basis, take up the food and establish a schedule of twice a day feedings. Leave the food down for 30 minutes. Once your cat is on a schedule you will notice that he is more enthusiastic about food.
* Cats prefer their food at “body temperature”, but do not warm the food more than once or twice as this will promote bacterial growth.
* Sprinkle a very small amount of tuna – or any other favorite treat (some cats do not like fish) - on the top of the canned food and then once they are eating this, start pressing it into the top of the new food. (The “light” tuna is better than the fancy white tuna because it has a stronger smell. Or, Trader Joe's makes a Cat Tuna that is very stinky!)
* Pour a small amount of the water from the tuna over the top of the canned food.
* Crush some dry food and sprinkle it on the top of the new food.
* If you have a multiple cat household, some cats like to eat alone so you may need to take these cats into a separate room and feed them canned food/tuna ‘meatballs' by hand. This worked for one of my stubborn, timid cats. In a quiet setting, he would eat from my hand and then, finally, from a bowl. I'm not sure who was being trained.

Source.
~Shiva , Chief Troublemaker
If this post was edited, it was probably for spelling.
Shiva

Twitter handle: ShivaWolfe

Postby stegan » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:34 am

So I had been sort of on the fence about the wet food- I would set some out, Horatio would eat a bit, then leave the rest to dry up on the plate (which happens quickly with this stuff). On our last trip to the pet store, the girl suggested trying one of the other flavors from the same brand. I was a little skeptical, since I consider Horatio to be one of the pickiest eaters that ever picked. But we got one of each of the other proteins.

And the results were fascinating! With two of the foods, he does the same thing as before- eats a little, leaves the rest. But with the other two, he absolutely scarfed them down. In fact, even if he left a little bit on the plate, he went back to it a short time later and finished it off.

So I guess I've figured out what the trick to wet food was, at least for our dear Big H- don't give up, and don't be afraid to experiment!
stegan

Postby gladcow » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:54 pm

I'm curious what flavors he liked best. I have this idea in my head that kittehs would prefer fish. I know this is a silly idea with no facts behind it. So, uh, what's he like? :p
everyone's right and no one is sorry, that's the start and the end of the story
gladcow

Postby stegan » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:03 pm

Well, I was trying to avoid the gross-out factor, cause, well, I think it's kinda gross. But what we've discovered is that he is sort of non-committal about turkey and chicken, but likes duck quite a bit. And he absolutely devoured the salmon. So a yes to fish and waterfowl, but not so much poultry. I have suspicions on why- it could be because he's had poultry of one sort or another in dry food for years, or because the poultry wet foods have a much denser consistency, and the liquid in the can is more gelatinous, making them less appealing...

Yick.
stegan

PreviousNext

Return to Feline