...a real forum.

Bad Habits of our Cats and Dogs

Re: Bad Habits of our Cats and Dogs

Postby panthera » Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:23 pm

Oh, I see. Thanks.
panthera

Postby matriarco » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:04 pm

Our cat Maestro has a couple really bad habits. He likes to go to the bathroom in creative places. Apparently he's done this since he was born (my mom rescued his mom when she was pregnant so she new Maestro from the beginning), using the litter box at times but also sneaking into hidden places. We can't detect a pattern in terms of what's going on in his life in relation to how much he does this. There may be one but it's hard to tell because we don't find his stashes right away. Once we find a stash we'll pepper that area and he won't go back but he finds a new one.

Also, he has a habit of knocking expensive things off of shelves and tables, which then get eaten by the dogs. For example, he just dug out my glasses (second pair) from where they were tucked under things on my nightstand and knocked them onto the floor. In the morning we found them destroyed. He also recently climbed onto a high shelf, around a bunch of bottles somehow, and knocked an entire box of dog biscuits onto the floor. That resulted in the dogs throwing up on the bed when we were in it.

It's a good thing he's cute.
matriarco

Postby Miso Vegan » Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:40 am

"pepper" = as in, ground black pepper?

Otherwise, sounds very annoying! But, yes, these pesky animals redeem themselves with teh cutes, don't they? Sigh.

Rupert has been peeing in the tub, and practically living in holy matrimony with the bathmat, but is also peeing (and pewping) in the litterbox *I think* - the Cat Attract is so much nicer than the Swheat Scoop. But if the door to Miso Lite's room is left open, I find the carpet near the closet to have new pee smell. :( Totally soaked that area with Urine Destroyer uh-again.

So far ::::knocks on wood:::: he hasn't peed on the dog beds, but there was a mysterious pee spot on the Flor in the living room.

So basically, nothing has changed, except he has added the tub to his repertoire and *perhaps* will leave the dog beds alone. Which I can live with.
Miso Vegan

Postby matriarco » Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:49 pm

Our cats are on a shared mission to cover the world in their pee!

Maestro is also peeing and pooping in the bathtub. And on the dog beds. And also the litterbox. It's so nice of them to share their pee with the rest of us.

Yes ground black pepper. I don't know if it works or if he just abandons spots after we've found them, like a kitty game of hide-and-seek with feces.
matriarco

Postby Miso Vegan » Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:50 am

I'd heard of black pepper as a repellant, too, and have used it, but wonder the same thing.
Miso Vegan

Postby panthera » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:08 pm

[quote="matriarco";p=5164]a kitty game of hide-and-seek with feces.

:laugh:

Wow, before, when I'd find Goldy poop outside the box, I'd be all :mad:
After hearing some of these other stories, I'm all :uhoh: :sweat:

My question with him was always whether I was inviting him to establish new, minimal "litterboxes" by putting down paper in some areas. I even gave him a second uncovered box but saw him spraying from it, so had to put cardboard out all around it. But he's never snuck around, and he doesn't pee elsewhere. He hasn't done it recently, except when panthimo & I left for a week.

Unlike my godson, whom I visited recently. Both he & his younger brother peed in their pants at the playground when I was watching them, and neither one stopped to notice. Some of it was on the equipment itself, and I didn't have anything to wipe it up with. :anxious:

One thing w/urine is that when the odor gets in your nose, it seems to stay there, and everything smells like it afterwards, so it's hard to tell if an object really smells like it or if you're smelling the molecules from the other object!
panthera

Postby panthera » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:12 pm

btw, matriarco, I hope St. Louis doesn't have those trees that smell like cat pee in the spring! The ones that are all over the place in this neighborhood!
panthera

Postby matriarco » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:57 pm

[quote="panthera";p=5170]
One thing w/urine is that when the odor gets in your nose, it seems to stay there, and everything smells like it afterwards, so it's hard to tell if an object really smells like it or if you're smelling the molecules from the other object!

I agree! So many times I've said to someone, "Sorry our apartment smells like pee" (after cleaning up a newly-found Maestro spot) and they'll swear they don't notice anything. Although maybe they're just being polite.

No pee trees here! At least not that I've noticed. And I bike every day through a park with a huge variety of trees. If they'd be anywhere, they'd be there so I think we're good. St. Louis is pretty much the best city ever.
matriarco

Postby panthera » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:29 pm

Our last subletters visited St. Louis over Thanksgiving, and of course they raved about the City Museum (name?). So you really like the city that much? That's great!
panthera

Postby matriarco » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:52 pm

We love it! Now we're on the topic of St. Louis instead of bad habits of cats and dogs. Ummm...my cats and dogs have a bad habit of being too adorable which makes it hard to get work done. :)
matriarco

PreviousNext

Return to Other companion animals