Vegan Ethos

...a real forum.

General Training Talk

General Training Talk

Postby Shiva » Thu May 05, 2011 7:16 pm

~Shiva , Chief Troublemaker
If this post was edited, it was probably for spelling.
Shiva

Twitter handle: ShivaWolfe

Re: General Training Talk

Postby vegankitty » Mon May 16, 2011 2:34 pm

I have come to the conclusion (our trainer hasn't said it but I think he believes this too) that progressive reinforcement isn't going to work for Bonnie's leash aggression as long as we are living in such a crowded and dog friendly neighborhood.It is impossible to avoid all the other dogs or see them in time to get the timing right for the rewards. We will be doing well then we will suddenly run into a dog-they appear from behind a car or around a corner-and she starts rage mode (seen 28 Days Later? Well in this mode Bonnie is like those zombies). Once that happens, and it happens on an almost daily basis, all our progress is lost and we're back to square one. I can't take her on a long walk except late at night when we can take a route that is relatively dog free and when it is easy to avoid dogs we do see. obviously she can't only go out once a day. I'm hoping when we move upstate she will do better because there won't be the constant barrage of large dogs. I would have moved withing the city even-when I visit other neighborhoods I always assess how Bonnie-friendly it would be-but moving for one year didn't make financial sense.

Is this even the right thread for this? :uhoh:
vegankitty

Twitter handle: vegankitty

Postby Dugan » Mon May 16, 2011 9:57 pm

It is, I think. I'm sorry you're having trouble helping Bonnie. I agree, the upset of moving for only ome year doesn't make sense. Aside from finances, think of how long it would take to get Bonnie and the kittehs acclimated to their new home, then Bonnie to new walking routes, and then to do it all over again not long after.
Dugan

Postby vegankitty » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:49 pm

Could someone give me examples of negative reinforcement and negative punishment?
vegankitty

Postby Shiva » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:34 pm

First, the basics of operant conditioning for anyone who's fuzzy on it:

The negative in negative reinforcement or punishment means removing some stimulus from the environment (think remove = minus = negative). Conversely, positive means adding some stimulus to the environment (think add = plus = positive). Reinforcement means anything that increases a behavior, and punishment means anything that decreases a behavior.

Negative reinforcement occurs when an aversive stimulus is removed (negative) when a desired behavior occurs (thus reinforcing the desired behavior). A good example of this is when there is tension on a dog's leash/collar, and the tension is relieved when the dog stops pulling or moves closer to the human person holding the leash. Jerky trainers that pinch their dogs' ears to get them to open their mouths to take a retrieving dumbbell are using negative reinforcement. When you put on your seat belt in a car, and the annoying buzzer stops, that's also negative reinforcement. Some say that cats are masters of negative reinforcement, as they cease to make annoying sounds as soon as you perform the desired behavior of filling their food dish.

Negative punishment occurs when you remove (negative) something that is valued after an undesirable behavior (thus decreasing the undesirable behavior). One example of this is when you stop a game because it has become too rough, or leave the dog park because of a fight or some other misbehavior. An unintentional and counterproductive use of negative punishment is when you call your dog to come to you, and then leave the dog park, end the walk or playtime, etc., in which cases you are inadvertently punishing the dog's recall by taking away something fun.
Shiva

Postby vegankitty » Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:32 am

Thanks! Client with a new dog who I'm trying to explain operant conditioning to. So when she gets a trainer she knows what to ask about their methods. Because the dog needs a trainer.
vegankitty

Postby Shiva » Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:35 am

You're welcome! And good luck with the client and the dog.
Shiva

Return to Behavior and teaching-training