Vegan Ethos

...a real forum.

Flexi leads

Flexi leads

Postby vegankitty » Tue May 24, 2011 12:34 am

On another vegan forum I'm on several people are speaking in favor of flexi leads. I have never heard any professionals say anything good about them. Especially alarming is that one person mentions using a twenty foot one in an urban setting.

Thoughts? Opinions? Am I wrong and are flexi leashes awesome?
vegankitty

Twitter handle: vegankitty

Re: Flexi leads

Postby Dugan » Tue May 24, 2011 2:34 am

Can't stand 'em. Awesome tools for teaching a dog how to pull. Also great for a false sense of security.
Dugan

Postby Shiva » Tue May 24, 2011 8:19 am

Also great for rope burns. :(
~Shiva , Chief Troublemaker
If this post was edited, it was probably for spelling.
Shiva

Twitter handle: ShivaWolfe

Postby panthera » Tue May 24, 2011 9:36 am

Easy to drop, spooking the critter on the other end of the line.
panthera

Postby shananigans » Tue May 24, 2011 4:51 pm

I've been clotheslined by a flexi lead while rollerblading. Hate them!
shananigans

Postby vegankitty » Tue May 24, 2011 6:54 pm

The rationale I read is that they give dogs more freedom than a regular leash. I guess if you can't take your dog to a closed in park and they don't have good recall they would be okay in an open area. But one of those super long training leads would be just as efficient and less dangerous. Besides, the dog is still on a leash. Having a longer leash still isn't "freedom".

Some of the things people say about dogs really gets me eye rolling. Applying human standards in all circumstances to dogs or cats is silly. Some things no animal would want- being hit, not having access to food and water etc. Just because someone doesn't like wearing a shirt with a tight collar doesn't mean collars for dogs are cruel. (Seriously.)
vegankitty

Twitter handle: vegankitty

Postby shananigans » Tue May 24, 2011 9:30 pm

We have a 20' long lead we use at the park for working on recall and just running around. I really can't think of a single situation where I'd prefer a flexi lead.
shananigans

Postby stegan » Fri May 27, 2011 8:41 pm

I've never used them, but they terrify me because of the inattention practiced by the humans holding them. I've seen dogs on sidewalks bolt and be ten or fifteen feet away before the human has even noticed and locked the leash. They'd be fine in a park, I'm sure, but when I'm driving and see someone using one on a sidewalk, I'm always watching where the dog is just in case.
stegan

Twitter handle: stegan

Postby Dugan » Fri May 27, 2011 8:45 pm

Yup, I've had dogs on flexis dart from the sidewalk to in front of my car, thanks to stupid humans on the other end.
Dugan

Postby downwithapathy » Sun May 29, 2011 7:44 am

I'll be the voice dissent. :)

Each of my dogs has her own extra-long (26 ft) Flexi lead, and I do NOT regret either purchase. I'll explain why I purchased them and how they are currently used and have been used in the past (by me).

I do not walk my dogs on their Flexis. I walk them on a 6 ft Blue Dog training leash (hands down, the best dog-related purchase I've ever made--it's ruined all other leashes for me!).

I first purchased a Flexi (intentionally the extra-long version) while residing in a small city apartment with a one-year-old Cattle Dog mix. I often worked late and couldn't make it to the dog park with Zoe on work nights. I walked her a LOT, but a younger Zoe needed to run daily to keep from going stir crazy. I didn't feel she was quite trustworthy enough to be off leash in the park after dark, so I got the Flexi for on leash fetch and the like. I didn't end up using it a lot, as I quickly found a new, wholly fenced park that took Flexi's place.

About a year later, I relocated to rural Indiana. Here, I use the Flexis to allow both dogs to run in rural parks with hiking/walking trails and the like. Generally, I will walk the dog(s) on the waist leash and keep the Flexi in my purse. Once we reach a clearing/picnic area/whatever, I attach the Flexi to allow the dogs more freedom (obviously, this wouldn't be necessary if I had more time/energy/skill for developing off leash skills--I'm not a perfect dog parent, but I think I'm good!).

The two dogs react very differently to the Flexi. Annie barely seems to notice the change but uses her Flexi time to walk and sniff a greater area. Zoe becomes visible very excited and will immediately run several large circles around me once on the Flexi lead.

I think some very valid concerns have been brought up here, but I don't think Flexi is a bad invention or something I should feel ashamed of using.
downwithapathy

Next

Return to Behavior and teaching-training