Vegan Ethos

...a real forum.

NYT Article: Your Dog Is Watching You

NYT Article: Your Dog Is Watching You

Postby Shiva » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:22 pm

Your Dog Is Watching You

Dogs are constantly learning from the reaction of human owners, picking up facial cues and anticipating their owner’s behavior, new research suggests. The findings, published online in the journal Learning and Behavior, show that dogs essentially are always in training, and help explain how many owners unknowingly teach and reward their dog’s bad behavior.
~Shiva , Chief Troublemaker
If this post was edited, it was probably for spelling.
Shiva

Twitter handle: ShivaWolfe

Re: NYT Article: Your Dog Is Watching You

Postby quagga » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:49 pm

What struck me about that article is that we humans have the *potential* to be just as observant of dog behavior as they are of us; we just don't live up to our potential. If watching dogs was a baby or a child's pastime, the child would learn to read dog behavior as acutely as they read human behavior. And even among humans, some humans are way better at reading body language than others -- successful salespeople are really good at it; other people, like me, are really bad at it, even with people that they are close to.

I think that's the essence of dog/cat/horse/etc whisperers--they are so finely attuned to their own motions and the animal's body language that what they can accomplish seems miraculous.

Thanks for sharing that.
quagga

Postby Shiva » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:18 pm

[quote="quagga";p=3014]I think that's the essence of dog/cat/horse/etc whisperers--they are so finely attuned to their own motions and the animal's body language that what they can accomplish seems miraculous.

Yes! I t0tally agree.
~Shiva , Chief Troublemaker
If this post was edited, it was probably for spelling.
Shiva

Twitter handle: ShivaWolfe

Postby vegankitty » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:32 pm

I am much better with cats then with dogs (and people, though I'm pretty good at that too). I wonder if that's because as a child I really paid attention to cat behavior 9and adults, though for different reasons).

It has come up with cats recently because one of our fosters is a difficult, moody cat and DJ doesn't pick up on it so I've been trying to teach him how to read the cat better. I realized a lot of what I know about cat behavior is so ingrained I find it hard to explain to him. (My lack of patience doesn't help him either. :mean: )

:cat:
vegankitty

Twitter handle: vegankitty

Postby quagga » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:20 pm

On cat behavior and your foster, have you watched My Cat From Hell*? It's a show about a cat behaviorist/cat whisperer that is pretty good. I've watched a few episodes and always say -- "Yeah, I do that!" or "That's good, but he also should have tried this other thing." He's done some awesome work with really shy, scared cats and their humans.

There are some clips online here (but I haven't watched them):
http://animal.discovery.com/tv/my-cat-from-hell/

*It's a sensationalist title. They could easily have titled it The Cat Whisperer, but then fewer people would watch it.
quagga

Postby vegankitty » Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:54 am

Yes, I do! More importantly, DJ watched it.

Yeah, one episode he was all "that is the worst cat I've ever seen" and I was like, seriously?

I don't want to turn this into a cat thread so I will move foster talk elsewhere. :cat:
vegankitty

Twitter handle: vegankitty

Return to Behavior and teaching-training