Vegan Ethos

...a real forum.

Anxiety

Re: Anxiety

Postby Dugan » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:50 am

[quote="downwithapathy";p=5087]She isn't terribly comfortable with my aunt's husband, for example. However, she quickly learned to use his scariness for her own personal gain. Because I threw her treats when she neared him without barking, she learned to walk quietly to Bill, then look to me for a treat. Then walk back to Bill, then back to me for a treat, and back to Bill... and back for her damn treat. I'm sure I could give treats intermittently and curb the manipulation, but he doesn't come around often enough to make it a routine. Bad DWA, right? :)

No, not at all bad DWA! Sounds like a great job on your part to help Zoe learn a more appropriate reaction than the one she had been doing.
Dugan

Postby Dugan » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:51 am

[quote="vegankitty";p=5085]No, she's still having separation anxiety. She's upstate now with DJ and she jumped a 31" gate. She knocked it down when it was pressure mounted. She peed and pooped on the floor even after an hour playing with him in the yard. She broke a lamp and tore down the curtains that were in the front window. DJ's not working so he hasn't been going anywhere he can't take her. Luckily its been warm enough still he can take her to the grocery store and she can wait in the truck (she loves it in there) and people up there are less likely to object to a dog going places. He even took her to visit his mom in the nursing home. Everyone loves her to pieces.

Do you think she'll do better once you're there too? Maybe part of her stress stems from being parted from you?
Dugan

Postby vegankitty » Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:59 pm

Maybe, but she was having problems before she left. I'll be seeing her tonight.
vegankitty

Twitter handle: vegankitty

Previous

Return to Behavior and teaching-training