Vegan Ethos

...a real forum.

Doggy illnesses

Re: Doggy illnesses

Postby quagga » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:54 am

Hugs to you and Pedro and Rain and all the oldsters out there. I am so glad that you have the experience to be able to make the hard decisions when they need to be made. I just had to say goodbye to Meezey after much watching, waiting, and analyzing, just as you are doing now. (And in the end, for Meezey at least, it was not so hard, but incredibly painful.) Fortunately, my vet was fully supportive, and Meezey passed very peacefully at home, in my lap.

I just heard a lovely, bittersweet poem on NPR this morning, and it made me think of Meezey and how hard it is to say goodbye, and yet how lucky we are that we can say goodbye when the time is right. Maybe you'll like it, too.

It's called "End of Days," by Marge Piercy. Here's the URL: http://writersalmanac.publicradio.org/index.php?date=2011/04/20

EDIT: And because I've gone and brought up Meezey and derailed a dog thread, I might as well go all the way...for those of you who haven't met Meezey or heard me speak of her elsewhere...this is my beloved Meezey (it doesn't really matter what she looked like, but if you're curious, she was a beautiful domestic shorthair colored like a sealpoint siamese):

July 10, 2006
in the fullness of the moonlight mr q and i wandered out into the yard and oriented our two-person hammock toward the face of the moon. as we lay there, basking in the moonlight, in the perfect night, in the perfect temperature, in the perfect breeze, our cat meezey joined us.

she peeked over the edge of the hammock, then leaped up and walked along the edge, making it sway. it was like nothing else but a cat walking on the deck of a moving ship. soon, she was on the prow of the hammock, silhouetted with the moon ahead of her, the hammock carrying her into the warm night with her two favorite humans in the whole world, as we all faced the rising moon.

it was sublime.
quagga

Postby Miso Vegan » Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:36 pm

{{{{{{quagga and mr. quagga}}}}}}} Fare thee well, Meezey.
Miso Vegan

Postby gladcow » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:37 pm

big hugs to all my friends and their aging pets :heart:
everyone's right and no one is sorry, that's the start and the end of the story
gladcow

Postby gladcow » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:37 pm

and, Sail in Peace, Meezey :heart:
everyone's right and no one is sorry, that's the start and the end of the story
gladcow

Postby squirrel » Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:27 am

{{{Meezey and quagga family}}}
squirrel

Postby panthera » Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:07 am

[quote="squirrel";p=2158]Gah now I'm crying. Damn PMS.

Hell, I'm crying and I don't have PMS! :cry: I know what you mean (as I'm sure we all do) about stopping and staring and trying to figure out if some behavior is a sign of something bad. At a vet clinic, you can just ask a vet, you know? At home, you have to make the call yourself. But with your veterinary experience, your having thought everything out, and your familiarity with Pedro, I'm sure you'll do great. I'm glad you know what treatment is OK for Pedro and what would just be too much for him. It's different for different individuals, and people don't always acknowledge that.

Sending hopeful vibes!

Quagga, I'm so sorry about Meezey! I didn't "know" her from VRF threads, so I'm glad you gave us a description. Healing thoughts for your heart. :heart:
panthera

Postby Dugan » Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:06 pm

Tears here too. Still and all, it's better to experience the grief rather than never having known and loved them. Hugs & scritches to Meezey's family.
Dugan

Postby squirrel » Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:23 pm

Agreed.
squirrel

Postby Shiva » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:35 pm

{{{quagga and mr. quagga}}} Rest easy and good sailing, Meezey. :heart:
~Shiva , Chief Troublemaker
If this post was edited, it was probably for spelling.
Shiva

Twitter handle: ShivaWolfe

Postby Shiva » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:42 pm

And thank you for the link to the Piercy poem, quagga. I love it.
~Shiva , Chief Troublemaker
If this post was edited, it was probably for spelling.
Shiva

Twitter handle: ShivaWolfe

PreviousNext

Return to Health