Vegan Ethos

...a real forum.

Parasite Prevention!

Parasite Prevention!

Postby downwithapathy » Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:17 pm

We have a thread on heartworm prevention. How 'bout one on the prevention of other parasites, most notably (dun dun dun) fleas and ticks. :)

I used Frontline Top Spot when I lived in Wisconsin (because that's what our low-chemical vet sold). My girls' Hoosier vet sells Vectra 3D. However, I am extremely dissatisfied with that product and now order Frontline online.

My long-winded elaboration:

*Neither of my dogs have had fleas since coming to live with me. As far as I can tell, both Frontline and Vectra 3D are effective.
*Frontline Plus's extra chemical strikes me as unnecessary in most situations. Does anyone else have thoughts on this?
*Annie came to me with a secret tapeworm infestation. She ate a lot and continued to lose weight rapidly. Her stool was very loose. I thought it was the change in diet. Then one day, I saw tapeworm segments in her poo, gave her a pill, and it was magic! Poo was good, she gained weight, all was right. I only bring this up because Annie's late tapeworms tell me something about her pre-shelter past. My little girly had fleas. Fleas bring other parasites to the table. Others will have differing perspectives, but I consider fleas kind of a big deal. Ticks too.

Vectra 3D:
This stuff can go straight to hell. :laugh:

I bought one dose last year and found it annoying. It's the type that has to be applied in multiple locations along the dog's back. I remember Annie trying to lick it off at the base of her tail. I immediately ordered Frontline online and never looked back.

Until this year. For whatever reason, the Frontline took something like 3 weeks to arrive in the mail. In the mean time, I found a tick on Annie, freaked out, and bought another dose of Vectra for each dog. Annie didn't try to lick it off this year (progress!), but she looked kind of stupid with a greasy stripe down her back. Whatever. No big deal.

Within an hour of application, Zoe began moving differently. She kept curving her back end around as she walked (at least 85% of the time, she walked curled into a c shape for no apparent reason). This went on for a couple of weeks. During this time, she also began to chew on her back legs. The vet seemed confident that it was just skin irritation, but I was terrified that the Vectra had caused serious, permanent nerve damage.

Long story short, Vectra sucks. :brood:
downwithapathy

Re: Parasite Prevention!

Postby Shiva » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:32 pm

Short story: We use Comfortis.
~Shiva , Chief Troublemaker
If this post was edited, it was probably for spelling.
Shiva

Twitter handle: ShivaWolfe

Postby downwithapathy » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:26 am

Oh. I just want to add that I didn't decide that Vectra sucks only because Zoe had a reaction. Google tells me a whole lot of dogs have reacted to the stuff, much more than Frontline it seems. I'll shut it now. :)
downwithapathy

Postby Dugan » Sun May 01, 2011 1:44 am

Sometime in the past few years, topical tick/flea remedies hit the news for safety concerns. If memory serves, there was a USDA or maybe FDA alert about safety concerns. I remember noticing at the time that Frontline was one of the only products not involved because that's the only one I'll use. Frontline Plus is the only topical remedy effective against ticks that is also safe for cats. We have dogs and cats, and much intermingling between the two.
Dugan

Postby panthera » Sun May 01, 2011 3:34 pm

I take Goldthwaite outside for about an hour every day, always on a short leash. I hadn't thought of putting him on a preventative until the vet mentioned it the last time we visited. What do y'all think? We live in Chicago, I don't recall there being a lot of mosquitoes, there's only a patch of garden behind the neighbor's building plus the strips of grass between the sidewalk & street, and we don't go near any other animals.
panthera

Postby Shiva » Sun May 01, 2011 11:07 pm

I don't treat for fleas unless I see them, or know that they are in the environment. We've lived in places where I didn't use the Comfortis at all, and then we'd move and I'd see a flea on someone, so I'd start them on it. The fleas are gone pretty quickly once treatment starts.
~Shiva , Chief Troublemaker
If this post was edited, it was probably for spelling.
Shiva

Twitter handle: ShivaWolfe

Return to Health