Psych Meds for Dogs

Re: Psych Meds for Dogs

Postby vegankitty » Wed May 04, 2011 7:43 pm

Well that makes sense then.
vegankitty

Twitter handle: vegankitty

Postby panthera » Thu May 05, 2011 8:12 pm

Sooo cool! have never heard of that, but it totally makes sense to me. has she simply not taken to some people from the outset? ie, could those also be cases of detecting "mood meds," but you didn't know, and figured it was due to something else?
panthera

Postby gladcow » Thu May 05, 2011 9:30 pm

hmmm. that's an interesting question. The thing about Lola is she wants to be EVERYONE's friend. As long as they're nice. Her initial impulse when she sees hoomins or dogs is to run up and say HELLO I LOVE YOU BE MY FRIEND. Which is why those instances stood out. But, now that I think about it, she has had a few instances over the years of rejecting right off. IIRC, they were all men. But, like, 2 or 3 all told. And, she hasn't had negative experiences with men to my knowledge. Huh.
everyone's right and no one is sorry, that's the start and the end of the story
gladcow

Postby gladcow » Thu May 05, 2011 9:30 pm

that was major stream of consciousness lol
gladcow

Postby Dugan » Thu May 12, 2011 3:52 am

Okay, so this has been one of the threads I've wanted to add to, but after champagne? Here goes...

First, the dog doesn't have to have met a person before to recognize that a scent has altered. It's not so much that John doesn't smell like John anymore, as much as it is that some meds can distort scent such that John doesn't smell Normal Human anymore.

Second, if the dog does know That Particular Human, then the scent distortion is weirder.

It doesn't have to be meds either. Heather reacted to changes in soap. I know a few people who worked with scent training dogs who were certain that foods could make a difference too, and would keep a log to keep food consumption similar with scent training.

So, it could be that Lola has a thing about a very particular subset of men, but without polling lots of humans and calculating differences, it'd be difficult for a human to say, why Those Men. It might be something similar that they share. Having eaten garlic? Used Old Spice cologne? Irish Spring soap? A medication? A physiological problem? I dunno... Dogs can be awesomely sensitive to things that we don't get, just as I'm sure we seem that way to them. It has been reliably demonstrated that there are dogs that can sense and react to cancerous growths, and even seizure alerts in humans - a wholly different species.

So, getting back to the question... Could it be meds? Sure, but it could be a bunch of different things too. It might even be several different variables that combined in just the wrong way for Lola to accept these people.
Dugan

Postby Dugan » Thu May 12, 2011 4:00 am

Syama... poor anxious guy... I hate to see a dog on meds, but I hate to see a miserable dog even more. I think there are people and vets who jump far too quickly to medication. With that said, I don't think that you, Shiva, are one of those people. It's obvious that you've tried to work with Syama, and have sought professional help. It's a tough choice to make, but it can make a world of difference.

Do you think you'll try to transition him off at some point to see if he can cope more easily?
Dugan

Animals & pills

Postby Dugan » Thu May 12, 2011 4:09 am

I'm a strong believer in just popping the pills into an animal. If it's a pill they will reliably take and eat, great. Otherwise, I strongly prefer opening the mouth, and popping the pill into the throat.

Partly, it's because I don't like to rely on artificial aids like pillers or treat pockets. What happens if you don't have it with you? Or have run out? Being able to pill an animal is a useful skill. I think it isn't the most palatable option for the animal, but I think that's balanced by it being the fastest and most reliable option. It might be unpleasant, but it's quickly done, I'm sure the pill went down, and I can follow it with a treat and still have the whole process done quicker than someone using a piller.
Dugan

Postby gladcow » Thu May 12, 2011 6:43 pm

does it confuse things too much if I explain that the people she misreacted to were women? (ie she had fine reactions with them and then didn't and the didn't came after meds/mood issues)

the ones she didn't get along with right off were men.

I like reading all of this :D
gladcow

Postby Shiva » Fri May 13, 2011 8:12 am

[quote="Dugan";p=2533]Do you think you'll try to transition him off at some point to see if he can cope more easily?

I am really hoping that being on meds will make it possible for him to learn some coping skills that will help him to be off the meds at some point.
~Shiva , Chief Troublemaker
If this post was edited, it was probably for spelling.
Shiva

Twitter handle: ShivaWolfe

Re: Animals & pills

Postby panthera » Fri May 13, 2011 8:22 pm

[quote="Dugan";p=2533] I think there are people and vets who jump far too quickly to medication.

[quote="Dugan";p=2534]I'm a strong believer in just popping the pills into an animal.

This juxtaposition took me a moment to sort out. Especially since few people just come out and say that they like to jump right into medication as a first choice. :D
panthera

PreviousNext

Return to Health