Vegan Ethos

...a real forum.

Psych Meds for Dogs

Re: Psych Meds for Dogs

Postby vegankitty » Sat May 14, 2011 2:11 pm

OMG me too panthera! I was confused.

Since I'm dogsitting this week I haven't been giving Bonnie her meds and I didn'tgive them to her last weekend either because we went away and took her with us. Then yesterday morning she was frantic again. She jumped on me, which she never does, and scratched the back of my leg. I ordered her a pheremone collar to try instead of meds. I have a cat one on Bow and it has made a big difference. I'm hoping it'll also help Bonnie.
vegankitty

Twitter handle: vegankitty

Postby Shiva » Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:43 am

Anyone have a use for clomipramine (Clomicalm)? I stopped giving it to Syama, and have quite a bit of it left. PM me or respond here. :)
~Shiva , Chief Troublemaker
If this post was edited, it was probably for spelling.
Shiva

Twitter handle: ShivaWolfe

Postby Shiva » Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:48 am

Oh, Lola. :heart: :heartbreak: :angel:

Shiva wrote:Maybe Lola didn't like Syama's morning songs. :uhoh: The med theory is an interesting one. Maybe Lola knows that something is up chemically (via scent) or mentally (via body language, which dogs are a billion times better at reading than humans are). Maybe Syama had some lingering anxiety that set Lola on edge. OTOH, Syama is always a little bit of a herder/worrier, and Lola may have taken offense at him presumptuously herding her humans - even when he isn't actively herding, he's always watching, and I'm sure that Lola didn't miss that.

I've seen dogs pick fights with wolfdogs for "no reason" enough times that I often wonder if the wdogs just smell different and some dogs simply don't like them. You know, like in Balto. :laugh: :(

Anywho. They are all sweethearts, and I love that we allowed them to hang out and be dogs without hovering or managing them. They worked out what they needed to with relatively little help from us, and Lola put up with strangers in her house as well as I expect that I will when I am "eleven."

Grace and Lucy canceled out each other's badness, I think. :joker: / :devil:

This is one of the things that makes message boards > Facebook, IMO. Continuity. History. Context.
Shiva

Postby Miso Vegan » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:06 am

^ Truth.

Why have you stopped with the Clo--Clomi-- whatever drug for Syama?
Miso Vegan

Postby panthera » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:27 am

Where's the "Like" button for the continuity, history, context post? :laugh:
panthera

Postby gladcow » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:19 pm

Shiva wrote:Oh, Lola. :heart: :heartbreak: :angel:

Shiva wrote:Maybe Lola didn't like Syama's morning songs. :uhoh: The med theory is an interesting one. Maybe Lola knows that something is up chemically (via scent) or mentally (via body language, which dogs are a billion times better at reading than humans are). Maybe Syama had some lingering anxiety that set Lola on edge. OTOH, Syama is always a little bit of a herder/worrier, and Lola may have taken offense at him presumptuously herding her humans - even when he isn't actively herding, he's always watching, and I'm sure that Lola didn't miss that.

I've seen dogs pick fights with wolfdogs for "no reason" enough times that I often wonder if the wdogs just smell different and some dogs simply don't like them. You know, like in Balto. :laugh: :(

Anywho. They are all sweethearts, and I love that we allowed them to hang out and be dogs without hovering or managing them. They worked out what they needed to with relatively little help from us, and Lola put up with strangers in her house as well as I expect that I will when I am "eleven."

Grace and Lucy canceled out each other's badness, I think. :joker: / :devil:

This is one of the things that makes message boards > Facebook, IMO. Continuity. History. Context.

:heart: :cry: :heart: :cry: :heart: :cry: :kiss:
everyone's right and no one is sorry, that's the start and the end of the story
gladcow

Postby Shiva » Thu May 30, 2013 7:31 pm

Geez, I never answered Miso's question! :embar: We stopped giving S-dog the clomipramine because it wasn't working anymore.

We recently tried trazodone. Its effective at calming him without making him dopey or anxious (sedatives tend to freak him out pretty badly.) I like it because you can use it as needed, rather than having to give it regularly. That makes it a good thing to try for dogs with specific fears, like thunderstorms or fireworks.

How are all the other crazy dogs?
Shiva

Postby vegankitty » Fri May 31, 2013 11:14 pm

We also stopped clomicalm because it wasn't working anymore. We haven't tried anything else. Bonnie has varying degrees of separation anxiety. DJ started working again so she's alone more than ever since moving. She tore some curtains down and chewed up a doorknob.
vegankitty

Twitter handle: vegankitty

Previous

Return to Health