Vegan Ethos

...a real forum.

Sebaceous Cyst

Sebaceous Cyst

Postby Dugan » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:58 am

Originally titled, "White Paste Squeezed Out of Skin"

Had an odd one happen with Caboodle just now. We were cuddled up on the couch. I felt something like a tick, checked, and saw what appeared to be an engorged tick. RnR went for the tick hook. While that happened, the "tick" fell off and it was immediately apparent that it was, in fact, not a tick. It also looked like there was something embedded into his skin, like maybe it was a sliver/splinter or something. It was roughly roundish and maybe 2mm across and the same brownish shade that made me think, tick. I picked some of it out - it didn't feel splintery. RnR got some tweezers, still wouldn't pull out. So, I squeezed. A mass emerged easily. After the initial brownish color, it was white. The cylindrical shape made us think grub, but it was a white paste, almost the consistency of toothpaste - thick and grainy. It doesn't smell bad. There is no heat in the area. Neither of us can feel an underlying mass. We got about 1/2 an inch out, which I tried to get in a jar for the vet to look at since I've never seen anything like it.

Oh, and RnR just found it via google - it's a sebaceous cyst, which, apparently, which we shouldn't have squeezed.
Dugan

Re: Sebaceous Cyst

Postby Shiva » Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:52 am

Welcome to the secret society of sebaceous cyst meddlers! :flowers: :skull:

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=130
~Shiva , Chief Troublemaker
If this post was edited, it was probably for spelling.
Shiva

Twitter handle: ShivaWolfe

Re: Sebaceous Cyst

Postby Dugan » Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:36 am

Huh. Did that end up being a sebaceous cyst, do you know?

I was surprised that there seem to be 3 types of discharge expected - the white paste that we saw, to a granular brownish-oily substance, to a tarry-black thick liquid. In all cases, expressing the, um, cyst filling?, did not seem to stress the dog in the least.

I've seen a variety of cyst and cyst-like things over the years, but never anything quite like the other night with such a copious amount of a thick and pasty white non-smelly substance.
Dugan

Return to Health