Vegan Ethos

...a real forum.

Help! I want another dog!

Help! I want another dog!

Postby downwithapathy » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:36 am

I love my two-dog household. Two is my perfect doggy number (at least as a single person). With two dogs, both dogs have doggy company. A third dog would mostly just increase my workload. Two dogs=the family I always wanted.

My dogs are medium sized. Annie's a very robustly built 30 lbs. Zoe's somewhere between 35 and 40 lbs but is generally assumed larger by those who meet her. I love big dogs. I love little dogs. I don't really have a type, but sometimes I really envy people with teeny tiny dogs who can fly in the cabin of a plane and easily go darn near everywhere with their people. I also envy people who get their dogs as tiny puppies and who therefore get to socialize the living heck out of said puppies at an early age. Only one of my four (past and present) came into my life as a tiny puppy. He was the only of my four to have been a "people dog." My other three have been dogs' dogs, through and through (which I LOVE about them, by the way).

I don't want a third dog, but gosh darn it, I want a people-loving travel companion.

Someone recently surrendered her 10-year-old (angryangryangrymakesmesosadandangry) Chihuahua x Rat Terrier to my local shelter, along with 4 of her 6 puppies (so she thought two puppies were worth keeping, but not her companion of 10 years? angryangryangry!!!!). The puppies' father is a Miniature Schnauzer. So the puppies are 1/2 Miniauture Schnauzer (tiny), 1/4 Rat Terrier (tiny), and 1/4 Chihuahua (teeny tiny). The puppies are 7 weeks old.

I don't want a third dog, but I kind of do want a young puppy who will grow up to be tiny and fly on airplanes. The other household member keeps asking people about other toy sized young puppies, so I assume she would be on board. Am I a terrible person?
downwithapathy

Re: Help! I want another dog!

Postby vegankitty » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:10 am

No. The rescue just got a twelve week old Chihuahua mix and OMG I want her. She will be visiting for her spay surgery.

But, if you think two dogs are ideal then maybe you should stick with them?
vegankitty

Twitter handle: vegankitty

Postby downwithapathy » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:57 am

Two is my ideal mostly because I worry about increased workload (and about shortchanging individual dogs in the love and snuggles department). With infinite time and money, I'd take in a lot more. :D
downwithapathy

Postby vegankitty » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:07 am

I worry about that too- shortchanging everyone. When DJ isn't here its hard for me to give everyone enough attention.
vegankitty

Postby Dugan » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:57 pm

I've had three, and strongly prefer two for the reasons you've noted. It's worth noting that dogs i prefer tend to have pretty high maintenance coats. the However, Ive known several people with three or more dogs who manage just fine, so it can work. Maybe you could try a foster to give the situation a test?
Dugan

Postby JasperKat » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:56 pm

Agree with Dugan's advice to foster in order to test the situation, although I know I personally would have to have a firm talk with myself about not keeping the dog if it really wasn't working out. It would be hard to give a dog back once it was in my home and in my heart. Maybe foster with the intention of adopting her to a forever home that isn't yours?

Also, I can sympathize. We had a client's dog stay with us over the weekend and the house was full but fun. Molly adores this dog (and is adored in return) and I got a look at what life would be like for her if she lived with a dog that would play with her :( She was so happy! And tired! I feel so sorry for her that Sprocket is a grumpy old grump who won't play, she needs a buddy! I do my best to get her weekly playdates with other dogs but seeing how happy she was with a full time pal makes me feel like a couple of hours a week is not enough.

Mr Kat says ABSOLUTELY NO MORE ANIMALS right now :innocent:

-JK
JasperKat

Postby vegankitty » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:43 pm

Oh same with Bonnie! I'm dog sitting this nightmare of a Boston Terrier this weekend and even though he is a big pain in the ass Bonnie has so much fun.

I'm taking her to his house this time because last time he was rough on the cats. Googie was the only cat who enjoyed being with dogs but the dogs don't get that.
vegankitty

Postby downwithapathy » Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:22 am

The puppies all found homes (none with me).

One of the puppies (sitting in an awkward pose):
downwithapathy

Postby JasperKat » Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:03 pm

Ahhh! Scruffy face! (S)he's so cute!

-JK
JasperKat

Postby matryoshka » Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:17 pm

d'awww. adorable! reminds me of luna, she sits in weird positions like that all the time, she's silly.
the vegan formerly known as bekah-chan
matryoshka

Next

Return to General Dog Talk