Vegan Ethos

...a real forum.

Grooming

Grooming

Postby shananigans » Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:08 am

I have a grooming question. I just brought home a new foster and have discovered that his fur is too matted to handle with just a comb and scissors, and I don't have clippers. I've left a message with the rescue to see where/when we can get him groomed, but in the mean time I'm wondering if I can give him a bath? He's very stinky, but I have a feeling that giving him a bath with all those clumps of fur would be futile or just make it worse. Thoughts?
shananigans

Re: Grooming

Postby Dugan » Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:28 am

Do not bathe a dog with matted fur or hair!
Dugan

Postby Dugan » Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:48 am

First, mats can set like cement. Second, the dense fur above the skin traps moisture, setting ideal conditions for skin sores.

If you can help Dog accustom to being handled and groomed by removing loose mats with your fingers, so much the better. If you dont have a friend with clippers (we'd come if it weren't so far), then in addition to fingers you could try a cutting rake, blunt-nosed scissors, or this sort of a tool. These are meant to cut in a direction that is away from the skin. It is all too easy to cut into the skin otherwise, and the skin of a dog tends to keep ripping open. And, speaking from personal experience, no matter how much you try to avoid it, cutting into the skin will happen-all it takes is one wrong wriggle...
Dugan

Postby shananigans » Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:56 am

Thanks for the reply! I figured adding water would only make the mess worse. He is very friendly and allows handling everywhere, but is also very energetic and squirmy, so that may make grooming a challenge. I got a few of the easy mats on his back, but once I felt around his ears, paws, and undercarriage I realized I'm out of my league in the grooming department here. The rescue is checking with volunteers to see who can groom him and when, I hope it's soon!
shananigans

Postby shananigans » Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:21 am

The mop in question:

shananigans

Postby Dugan » Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:13 pm

But what an adorable mop!
Dugan

Postby JasperKat » Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:41 pm

He's absolutely adorable!

I've had to admit that although I LOVE Sprocket's fur when it's long and shaggy I just can't keep up with the grooming. He doesn't like being brushed so I don't do it as often as I should and even when I'm keeping up with it he develops tangles on his tush and behind his ears. Because he doesn't have to look fancy, I just cut those tangles out with blunt tipped scissors or pick them apart with my fingers if they aren't too bad. Since Sprock especially hates when I brush or cut his butt fur, I do it in the bathroom. Why? So I can smear a palmful of peanut butter on the outside of the tub for him to stand and lick while I do it. :D

I use the same method to bathe him. A good dollop of PB distracts him from attempting to escape from the tub.

What kind of pooch is your foster? A doodle of some sort?

-JK
JasperKat

Postby shananigans » Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:55 pm

Ha! I may have to try that peanut butter trick next time I have trouble getting a dog in the tub.

The rescue has Radolph listed as full cocker spaniel, he's an owner surrender and they have an exact DOB so I'm guessing he was purchased from a breeder originally. You can check him out on petfinder: http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/18748328

ETA: I just noticed his profile says he has "hip sensitivity", but what he really has is nerve damage due to a spinal injury (they said he was surrendered in an anti-cruelty case in Chicago). I'm curious as to why they decided to describe his issue that way?
shananigans

Postby JasperKat » Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:18 pm

Must be the angle of the picture you posted, I wouldn't have guessed Cocker Spaniel! Or maybe I'm just not very good at Guess the Breed game :wink:

Does his spinal injury slow him down much? That petfinder description suggests that it doesn't.

-JK
JasperKat

Postby shananigans » Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:34 pm

It doesn't seem to slow him down much, he really gets along just fine. His back end is a little uncoordinated sometimes, but the only thing he's really had any issue with at our house is the steps going to our basement, they aren't carpeted so they're a little slippery. After a day he's already gotten pretty good on them, I should take some video. It's kind of cute they way he carefully maneuvers his front and back end one step at a time, the move sort of reminds me of a bunny hop. This is getting pretty off topic, maybe I should be posting in another part of the forum. :thinking:
shananigans

Next

Return to General Dog Talk