Vegan Ethos

...a real forum.

Grooming

Re: Grooming

Postby Dugan » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:42 am

Great pb idea! Spaniels can look variable, from curlier to straighter, some clip - so it can depend what sort of spaniel you're used to.
Dugan

Postby Shiva » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:03 am

Peanut butter - what would we do without it?

Syama does not like having his butt touched. And by "butt" I mean, back of the rear legs and buttocks (do dogs have buttocks? lol). Basically, his pantaloons. Which are his longest, tangliest parts. :/

We make a lot of "wolf's butt in a windstorm" jokes at my house. :laugh:
~Shiva , Chief Troublemaker
If this post was edited, it was probably for spelling.
Shiva

Twitter handle: ShivaWolfe

Postby shananigans » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:22 pm

I totally used the peanut butter trick when I gave Randolph a bath yesterday, he didn't seem as into the peanut butter as I thought be might be, but he licked some of it off. He still had some mats when I bathed him, another volunteer and I spent an hour at the shelter yesterday trying to remove mats and shave him down, but we only got through his ears (quite a feat!), back, sides and a couple odd mats on the legs and his "pantaloons" (I am totally calling them that from now on!). She gave me some detangler and told me I could give him a bath and try to soak the detanger through the mats so they'd be easier to loosen up and get a clipper or sheers under. I was able to cut a few more mats out (with he-manigans and peanut butter's assistance) after his bath. I dropped him off at the shelter for round 2 of grooming today while I was in class. The same volunteer and one of the other shelter workers got a lot more done, but he still has some horrible stubborn mats on his chest and legs. She said anesthesia might be the only way to really get them off safely, but I talked to the shelter manager and she said there wasn't a way for them to feasibly do that for him with just grooming, he's neutered and he doesn't need a dental or anything else that would require anesthesia. I've got instructions to soak the dog and massage the mats, and soak them in the detangler. This is supposed to make them easier to cut out. They are tight and very close to the skin, they're basically inoperable right now (that's how he-manigans and I were describing mats and finding ones to work on: looser/smaller mats = operable, big/tight mats = inoperable. I may have also been wearing the headlamp we use for camping. :uhoh:). I feel so bad for the little guy. I'm very glad for his easy going temperament, he's been a real trooper through all this!
shananigans

Postby Shiva » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:04 am

Wow! shananigans, you are the best foster mom ever. :heart: He's lucky to be with you!

p.s. love the headlamp! :laugh:
~Shiva , Chief Troublemaker
If this post was edited, it was probably for spelling.
Shiva

Twitter handle: ShivaWolfe

Postby debiguity » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:18 am

They make scissors that are "thinning shears". Instead of being a solid cutting blade, they have teeth, hence the thinning action. I wonder if that would help at all?
debiguity

Twitter handle: debiguity

Postby Miso Vegan » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:19 am

I don't know if this will help, but I've cut mats in half, laterally, with good scissors, and that makes getting the bottom half out a little easier. I don't know if I've ever dealt with the severity you're dealing with, but the ones I dealt with could be cut across.
Miso Vegan

Postby Dugan » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:05 am

Thinning shears work poorly on mats. They're good if you're trying to hide scissors marks, and if you're trying to remove bulk but not length.

Good scissors, as MV says, are key. Generally, cutting across is the toughest. I'll do it, but only as a last resort and only if I need to avoid using clippers for some reason. Clippers can generally get through about anything since you can run them over at skin level.

If he's that bad, could they use a sedative instead?
Dugan

Postby Dugan » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:12 am

I just remembered a trick for mats close to the skin

Slide the teeth of a comb through at skin level, with the comb teeth flat against the dog's body. You can then cut against the comb, and be assured that the comb will protect the dog. It's been a very long time since I had to use that one!
Dugan

Postby JasperKat » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:18 am

[quote="Dugan";p=1610]I just remembered a trick for mats close to the skin

Slide the teeth of a comb through at skin level, with the comb teeth flat against the dog's body. You can then cut against the comb, and be assured that the comb will protect the dog. It's been a very long time since I had to use that one!

This is an excellent tip.

Perhaps a stupid question, but if he's matted that badly is there some reason that the groomer doesn't just shave him? Not to bare skin, obviously, but a very short buzz? Will the clippers not be able to get under the mats to take them off?

-JK
JasperKat

Postby shananigans » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:49 pm

[quote="Miso Vegan";p=1601]I don't know if this will help, but I've cut mats in half, laterally, with good scissors, and that makes getting the bottom half out a little easier. I don't know if I've ever dealt with the severity you're dealing with, but the ones I dealt with could be cut across.

[quote="Dugan";p=1610]

I've been using both these methods and found them effective. The mats that remain are so tight to his skin and cover so much area that these tricks would be hard to use. He cries and squirms when you try to wedge a comb under the edge of the mat, I think they hurt quite a bit since they're pulling on so much skin in so many directions. They are so close it's hard to get the teeth of a comb under there, let alone clippers. His front "armpit" areas are the worst, I think I'm going to try to continue loosening them so they're easier to separate. There's one mat that goes across his chest and halfway down his left front leg. A sedative isn't a bad idea, I'll see if they can get him something. I've taken a break from the grooming, planning to get back to it tomorrow night.
shananigans

PreviousNext

Return to General Dog Talk