Vegan Ethos

...a real forum.

Riding in Cars With Dogs

Re: Riding in Cars With Dogs

Postby Dugan » Thu May 12, 2011 4:20 am

[quote="Miso Vegan";p=2506]I posted the link on my Royal Hounds Greyhound Adoptions email list.... and received only one response, which was "the buckled dog looks like it broke its back, not sure I'd want that."

:facepalm:

Yah yknow cause it's so much better when they smash against the windshield, or get flung out of the car, or injure other beings as they are flung about the car.... Are these the same idiots who refuse to wear seat belts because it might injure their chest or abdomen in a crash?

I'm glad you shared it, even if the response was poor. Maybe it got through to some people who didn't respond.
Dugan

Postby flower » Thu May 12, 2011 12:02 pm

If those people are concerned about a seatbelt doing harm, a crate is a wonderful alternative. I'd think it's actually safer than a seatbelt since it really limits their space, especially if the crate is secured with a seatbelt.

Panthera- I find myself saying that, too! Did you see that she's coming out with a book next year? I'll definitely be getting it. :)
flower

Twitter handle: veganflower

Postby Dugan » Thu May 12, 2011 1:11 pm

Yes, I think a crate is safer too, as long as it is secured and the right size for the dog. I can't find it, but I have a vague memory of an article someone posted on VRF that talked about belts being safer?
Dugan

Postby Miso Vegan » Fri May 13, 2011 1:15 am

[quote="Dugan";p=2540] I can't find it, but I have a vague memory of an article someone posted on VRF that talked about belts being safer?

I have that same vague memory....
Miso Vegan

Postby Shiva » Fri May 13, 2011 8:24 am

Someone should go and dig through that thread and bring some good links over here. :)
~Shiva , Chief Troublemaker
If this post was edited, it was probably for spelling.
Shiva

Twitter handle: ShivaWolfe

Postby Dugan » Fri May 13, 2011 12:44 pm

I couldn't find it.
Dugan

Postby Shiva » Fri May 13, 2011 6:53 pm

The thread, or that particular link?

<-- is reluctant to go to there. :/
~Shiva , Chief Troublemaker
If this post was edited, it was probably for spelling.
Shiva

Twitter handle: ShivaWolfe

Postby matriarco » Sat May 14, 2011 3:07 pm

The day after I posted that video on Facebook I was biking behind a Jeep with the back window open. There was an unbuckled dog in the back barking at me. Then he tried to JUMP OUT THE WINDOW to get to me. He actually had three legs on the top of the door ready to jump. Luckily his people (who were having a conversation and didn't seem to notice) hit a bump and he fell back in. Grr.
matriarco

Postby flower » Sat May 14, 2011 5:36 pm

I did a little research and there are several sites out there that say a seatbelt is safer than a crate. Their reasoning is that a crate could get easily crushed & that the dog would be thrown around too much while driving. Also, if they get in a crash, then the dog would be thrown against such a hard surface.

I'm sure they both have their pros & cons, though. We just put in this thing called the backseat bridge, which gives them more room to lay down in the car and keeps them from falling into the footwell without taking that space up for storage. So far we adore it. I did a post on it here, if anyone's interested in checking it out & why I luv it. :)
flower

Postby flower » Sat May 14, 2011 5:49 pm

I found the old thread over there & dug up one link. :)

Anti-Crate Perspective from Best Friends
flower

PreviousNext

Return to General Dog Talk