Vegan Ethos

...a real forum.

The dogs of VErf: pictures, please!

Re: The dogs of VErf: pictures, please!

Postby Shiva » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:10 pm

I can't help but wonder how it affects the relationship between the two dogs. Little dogs can be so bossy. :laugh:
~Shiva , Chief Troublemaker
If this post was edited, it was probably for spelling.
Shiva

Twitter handle: ShivaWolfe

Postby panthera » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:32 am

Ha!

as for Zoe: Meh - GSD...Husky... all the same thing.
:D
panthera

Postby Dugan » Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:47 am

Well, aside from the cuteness... I have to wonder... If I were to post a picture of Blizzard wearing packs on a week long Christmas-New Year hike, would that be cute? Why is it that one dog wearing packs and carrying a smaller dog is deemed "cute" while it is just as an unnatural behavior as a horse pulling a cart of tourists around NYC's central park?
Dugan

Postby downwithapathy » Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:25 am

[quote="panthera";p=3006]
as for Zoe: Meh - GSD...Husky... all the same thing.
:D

Ha! When she was a little younger, sooooo many strangers told me she looked like a German Shepherd puppy. At night (always at night), a few told me she was a Husky mix. I thought they were crazy. :D

I used to put my late hamster (Possum) on my late doggy (C.D.)'s back all the time when I was a pre-teen. I thought it was cute. C.D. had no predatory inclinations at all. Ever. He used to sniff and play bow at crickets (but never even accidentally hurt them), sniff the noses of mice, once "adopted" a stray kitten, etc. Possum didn't seem to to enjoy the experience, though (and for that I'm now sorry).

Dugan: I would probably find almost any picture of almost any dog "cute." I'm a sap.
downwithapathy

Postby panthera » Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:17 pm

[quote="downwithapathy";p=3030]C.D. had no predatory inclinations at all. Ever. He used to sniff and play bow at crickets (but never even accidentally hurt them), sniff the noses of mice, once "adopted" a stray kitten, etc. Possum didn't seem to to enjoy the experience, though (and for that I'm now sorry).

Are you sure C.D. was sniffing the noses of mice, and not their eyes? :nice:

[quote="Dugan";p=3022]Well, aside from the cuteness... I have to wonder... If I were to post a picture of Blizzard wearing packs on a week long Christmas-New Year hike, would that be cute? Why is it that one dog wearing packs and carrying a smaller dog is deemed "cute" while it is just as an unnatural behavior as a horse pulling a cart of tourists around NYC's central park?

I think a lot of it has to do with consent and profit. The dog carrying another animal has usually given some sort of consent, even if it's reluctant. The horse clearly would not consent to pull anything around; s/he has to be coerced, somehow. The exploitation is clear from the fact that the humans are profiting at the expense of the horse, without the horse's consent.

The dog's case is more nuanced, partially because s/he gives consent so readily to her/his human. There's also less of a clear profit/benefit motive. It's like those photos of cats w/silly hats. My guideline is "how would I feel if that were a human instead of a [fill in the species]?"
panthera

Postby vegankitty » Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:59 pm

I think about that sometimes with greeting cards- I favor ones with cats and dogs, sometimes photos. I found a great one at the local green store- a photo of a dog and a cat, both rescued by the photographer with the profit going to rescue.

As far as dogs and packs, I think there is also a difference between a companion animal carrying supplies (though it really depends on the dog- we use a pack sometimes to get Bonnie a better workout) and a carriage horse pulling a carriage solely for the profit of the owner. I can see more of an issue actually with a dog with camping packs for a hike than with the dog having another dog in a pack. I'm sure you, Dugan, wouldn't force Blizzard to carry things against his will but some people might argue that doing so is exploitive as the dog is carrying stuff with the dog carrying the other dog itcoukd still be seen as exploitive but less so maybe since it is another dog and most likely if the bigger dog was really opposed he wouldn't do it.
vegankitty

Twitter handle: vegankitty

Postby downwithapathy » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:16 am

[quote="panthera";p=3033]
Are you sure C.D. was sniffing the noses of mice, and not their eyes? :nice:

You may be on to something! :laugh:
downwithapathy

DELETED SPAM

Postby Tefeexhapssed » Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:47 am

<random sex words sex strung sex together sex deleted>

Tefeexhapssed

Postby vegankitty » Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:21 pm

Oh noes! We've been spammed!
vegankitty

Twitter handle: vegankitty

Postby Shiva » Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:53 am

I put on my boss hat and took care of it. :)
~Shiva , Chief Troublemaker
If this post was edited, it was probably for spelling.
Shiva

Twitter handle: ShivaWolfe

PreviousNext

Return to General Dog Talk