Vegan Ethos

...a real forum.

Dog snobs are real!

Dog snobs are real!

Postby downwithapathy » Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:12 am

...and I think I attract them.

I've experienced the following exchanges today.

*shopping for doggy Christmas gifts*
Woman: What kind of dog do you have?
DWA: I have two. A Cattle Dog mix and a Beagle mix. :)
Woman: *in a rude, disappointed tone* Oh.
*awkward pause*
Woman: *boasting* I have a Yorkie AND a Maltese!
DWA: *smiles politely*

*selling phones for a living*
Customer: Did you hear? Someone left their dog in a car in the parking lot and when they got back, he was gone!
DWA: That's horrible!
Customer: I don't know what kind of dog it was. They said it was worth $1800. Blahblahblah, etc. A friend of mine has a hairless dog. He's allergic to his collar, so she just doesn't put it on him. I keep telling my boyfriend that someday, that dog's going to be gone. Someone's going to take him. They're worth a lot of money. Some of those dogs are worth 800, 1000, 2000 dollars! I just can't believe people can pay that much for a dog!
DWA: *politely* I'd rather save a life and get a dog from the shelter. I have two shelter dogs.
Customer: *rude tone* Yeah. *walks out immediately without another word*

Holy. Crap. My dogs are awesome. What is wrong with people?
downwithapathy

Re: Dog snobs are real!

Postby Emiloid » Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:00 am

Wow, some people are just incredibly shallow and uninformed. I would guess that you're not really atrtacting these bozos... but because you love dogs and are sensitive/aware of the issues of breeding vs adopting, these sorts of comments probably stand out to you against the background of other equally stupid comments and attitudes people have. That is, I bet you notice the comments because you care so deeply about the topic.

You know that all dogs amazing individuals, and you don't have to have papers or a huge bill to prove it.
Living la vida local.
Emiloid

Re: Dog snobs are real!

Postby panthera » Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:14 pm

Let's hope that deep down, they know they're being petty. And with the amount of public education out there these days, hopefully they will realize they're perpetuating cruelty, too.
panthera

Return to General Dog Talk