Vegan Ethos

...a real forum.

I want to talk about my dog

Re: I want to talk about my dog

Postby Dugan » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:00 pm

I wore a pair of black fleece pants to school today. I got dressed in dim light and didn't notice that they're covered in white dog hair until I got to school. It looks messy but I hate to pick the hairs off because they're from Dugie. He's gone, but the fur remains years later.
Dugan

Postby Shiva » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:25 am

Oh, man. :cry:
~Shiva , Chief Troublemaker
If this post was edited, it was probably for spelling.
Shiva

Twitter handle: ShivaWolfe

Postby gladcow » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:05 pm

I found myself collecting tufts of Lola's hair & made myself stop. Isn't it funny how things that were so bothersome when they were alive are so precious now that they're gone? I'd give anything to step in Lola's drool right about now.
everyone's right and no one is sorry, that's the start and the end of the story
gladcow

Postby Dugan » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:05 pm

I can't say I miss the drool, but I do understand. It is nice to reminisce with people who get it.
Dugan

Postby Shiva » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:25 am

Sometimes I feel angry and sad that Guile missed out on so much.
~Shiva , Chief Troublemaker
If this post was edited, it was probably for spelling.
Shiva

Twitter handle: ShivaWolfe

Postby Dugan » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:45 am

On the other paw, you gave Guile a life rich with love and experiences in the time you shared together.
Dugan

Postby vegankitty » Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:42 am

We are talking seriously about adopting a second dog. Bonnie met her today. She's a coon hound mix named Daisy (we have a cat named Daisy so a new name would be needed.) I can't figure out how to download her picture from my text messages (boykitty and Bonnie met her). I have to meet her too but Bonnie really liked her- Daisy is very passive so a good choice for our rambunctious girl. She's 4 years old.
vegankitty

Twitter handle: vegankitty

Postby Dugan » Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:55 am

No more dogs for us until I'm done with school - dogs aren't cheap. I do so enjoy other people's adoption tales.

Is Daisy passive as in relaxed? Or as in submissive? Bonnie has been good with your fosters, hasn't she?
Dugan

Postby vegankitty » Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:08 am

Passive as in submissive. We only fostered little dogs after Bonnie grew difficult but she got along great with the dogs I boarded.
vegankitty

Twitter handle: vegankitty

Postby Dugan » Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:34 am

When you describe Bonnie as rambunctious, do you mean just that? I ask, because some people might say that, but really mean that the dog is dominant.

Submissive & dominant dogs can blend well. It can end up with roles emphasized, so be sure you're okay with allowing submissive dog to be very submissive, if that's how things work out. On the other paw, if Bonnie is more energetic & busy (and not so much dominant/bossy), then a more laid-back dog might calm her a little - companionship and things to do away from her humans. On the third paw, bringing in a new dog while Bonnie is having trouble adjusting (i.e. her symptoms of separation anxiety) may make things worse. It can be very hard to predict how things will go. On the fourth paw, your collective foster experience should give you a better idea than most about how it might go. I'm sorry to be not very helpful, but such situations can be very hard to predict.

Is there any way they'd let you foster Daisy for a week or two? Or adopt Daisy contingent upon getting along with Bonnie? Or upon a vet/ortho check, and then wait a week or two for the check, so that you can evaluate how they're doing together?

I continue to be surprised that such contingencies are frowned upon by shelters in my area. You'd think they'd want to know a placement would work prior to finalizing everything but perhaps they're worried that people wouldn't come back to pay?
Dugan

PreviousNext

Return to General Dog Talk