Vegan Ethos

...a real forum.

Not my dog: How can I help?

Re: I want to talk about my dog

Postby matriarco » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:35 am

Not my dog exactly, but this is the closest thread. mantriarco and I found a dog wandering on the busy street near our house. We opened the car door, just to see, and she came bounding in. We took her straight to a vet to check for a microchip. Turned out she had one but the number didn't work and no one else with the same name (the vet called every number in the phone book) answered. Then we took her walking to see if she recognized a house. That worked last time we found a dog, but no luck this time.

According to the microchip her name is Kendall. She looks like the negative image of Clementine. I'm hoping she has people and that we can find them soon.

Somehow I went from being a solid cat person to someone who always has multiple dogs in the house.

vegankitty, I hope Bonnie heals up quickly. I don't know about you but I always stress out about deciding whether or not to wait and see. It sounds like the smart thing to do in this situation, though.
matriarco

Not my dog: How can I help?

Postby Shiva » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:40 am

I started this thread for questions and advice about dealing with strays, lost dogs, and dogs in bad living situations, and moved matriarco's post here to start it off. :)

ETA: Sorry about that. I should have left a copy in the original thread, where the part about Bonnie would have made sense. I'm a n00b!
~Shiva , Chief Troublemaker
If this post was edited, it was probably for spelling.
Shiva

Twitter handle: ShivaWolfe

Re: Not my dog: How can I help?

Postby JasperKat » Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:02 am

Post on Craigslist with a vague description and put some fliers up? Also, call your police department and leave a report.

Too bad her people didn't keep their info up to date with the microchip company, I bet they're kicking themselves now. I wonder if there's a way to know which vet put the chip in, maybe he/she would have Kendall's people's contact info?

-JK
JasperKat

Postby matriarco » Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:32 pm

Good news: dog and person have been reunited.

We called the shelters here and one of them had been called by the person (same person who'd had her microchipped, different phone number). So we were able to get in touch with him. And then later that day we saw them out on a walk together. :)

So shortly after we found her we took her for a walk by where we found her. At some point in the walk she walked up the steps to a building. We knocked on both doors. One guy answered and said she wasn't his dog and that his neighbors didn't have a dog. We figured she just smelled something interesting there. Turns out that's the house she was staying in for the weekend. Last time we found a dog, this is how we found her home. A home she'd lived in for less than a week. So far this seems to be pretty effective, at least in urban areas. It's amazing how quickly dogs learn where they live.
matriarco

Postby downwithapathy » Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:24 pm

When Zoe and I were city mice, she used to stop outside of particular houses. One by one, I discovered those were the homes of her park buddies. Zoe tried to go on one porch and a few minutes later... out came Tank. Then she'd stop by another and a few minutes later... out came Chaika. Then another and there was Coca in a window. She used to give an overexcited cry outside BFF Max's house. These things happened over and over again, and it never failed to warm my heart. <3 :P

Conversely, there was a very dog reactive dingoesque dog in the neighborhood. I always knew to avoid this dog on walks because Zoe would react back and Zoe+dingo-looking-dog=a barky mess. One day, Zoe and I were walking down an empty sidewalk when she suddenly halted, air scented for several seconds and went into full on freaked out frantic barking. A few seconds later, that dingo dog was in a window freaking out right back. Dingo's human came and and apologized for his dog being so reactive even though my dog freaked out first in this case. I avoided that block from then on.

Sorry for straying a little off topic, but it seemed related to Doggy knowing where she was staying. :)
downwithapathy

Postby matriarco » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:43 pm

Totally related! Dogs are so interesting. I wonder, though, if my sweet but not that bright Clementine would be capable of the same thing. Sometimes I'm not sure she knows where we live.
matriarco

Postby Shiva » Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:02 pm

atomx, the beasties, and I have lived in our current home for about 4 months. One of the things that charmed me about this place was the neighborhood dogs. There are several dogs that roam loose, mostly staying in their own yards but also wandering the neighborhood and playing together. (Disclaimer: We live on a small island with a small population and small roads with very little traffic.) We have haven't let our dogs run loose, but I readily admit that I have seriously thought about it - even hoped that one day they'd have a rock-solid recall and I'd be able to let them run and play with the neighbor dogs. (Well, actually...we let them off their leads once while out walking them. They had a blast.)

I am especially enamored of two boy dogs that live sort of next-door to / behind us ("sort of" because the houses and streets aren't laid out all logically and neatly - it's sort of haphazard. More rustic island charm! :) ) - Moses and Odin. They are both reservation dogs, one a former stray, one from a litter of pups left at the ferry dock. They are big, happy dogs and Grace O'Malley and Syama both like them and like to play with them. Moses and Odin often tag along when atomx is walking Grace and Syama, which is really annoying to atomx because our dogs get super excited and pull a lot. :( But when we have our two on long lines in our yard and the boys from next door come over, it's pretty fun.

Naturally, there are downsides to this idyllic, seemingly dog-friendly island paradise. Also next door to us is an older Aussie girl. Her house + ours + Moses and Odin's make sort of a triangle. Aussie girl is kind of bossy, as shepherds often are, and she stands on her deck and barks at the boys endlessly. I could throw a rock from my bedroom window to her deck, that's how close it is, so the barking is pretty irritating if I am sleeping or working. The upside is that, once I get annoyed enough to go over to the window and scold her, she stops. Good girl! (I hate to be one of those people who scolds other people's dogs, but geez do her humans not hear her out there?)

Back to Moses and Odin. They spend a lot of time outside. Their family is a couple with children, I've met the man and woman separately but not the kiddos. The woman told me that she worked at home. They are nice, friendly people with some cool gardens and they seem to love their dogs. The dogs are friendly. Odin can be a barker. Our trash can has been knocked over a couple of times, and I suspect the two of them (we had our can replaced with one that latches and it hasn't happened since).

A few of days ago, atomx left his yard shoes on the front porch because he had stepped in poop. The next day, one of his shoes was out in the yard and the other was missing. My first thought was "Moses!" because Moses is like a bigger version of Grace - really playful and pretty mischievous. So we walked over to their house. Moses and Odin were outside, and greeted us. We walked through the yard looking for the missing shoe, finally finding it right on their front deck, pretty badly chewed. A note about their yard: Garbage everywhere. Trash bags that had been ripped open, chewed up trash and all kinds of stuff strewn all over. :(

We knocked on their door, intending to talk to them about the shoe and to ask them to keep a better eye on their dogs when they are outside. No one was home. I could hardly believe it. I knocked for about ten minutes. I could hear a teevee or something inside the house. Do people leave their teevees on when they aren't home? I guess some people leave their dogs outside when they aren't home, so who the hell knows?

The day after the shoe incident it snowed. Odin walked around barking all morning while it snowed. Moses and Odin have been outside almost constantly during the morning and afternoon. They don't appear to be in any distress since the initial snowing/barking. This morning Moses was playing with what looked like an empty paint can. :( The state of their yard tells me that they may be leaving the dogs outside to avoid having their house trashed inside. I have no idea how common it is to leave dogs outside like this around here. These guys are the only ones that I see enough to know that it's happening.

I want to help. Moses and Odin are good, sweet dogs. I don't know what their lives are like other than spending loads of time outside alone. My mobility is pretty limited - the walk to their house and back is about what I can do on a good day, and on a day when I am more wheelchair-bound, I wouldn't be able to get there at all. So I don't really know what I can offer. We have two giant crates that we are not using. I've thought about offering them those. I've thought about offering to have the dogs come here (inside!) when their people aren't home, but our house is small, so I don't know how that would play out. Any ideas?
Shiva

Postby JasperKat » Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:16 pm

Wow, that makes me really sad. On one hand, the dogs probably like the freedom of roaming outside, but what if one of them got hurt and no one knew? And being outside exposed to the weather... Do they have dog houses or any kind of shelter outdoors?

-JK
JasperKat

Postby Shiva » Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:02 pm

I haven't seen any dog houses. They can probably find some shelter under the decks, but it wouldn't be much.
Shiva

Postby Miso Vegan » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:44 am

Is there an animal service in your area? I mean, like a county service? They can come do a visit and tell them the minimum standard of care (which includes access to clean water, and access to shelter). Also, the code enforcement division of the county housing authority can force them to clean up.
Miso Vegan

Next

Return to General Dog Talk