Vegan Ethos

...a real forum.

Dog Waste Disposal!

Dog Waste Disposal!

Postby downwithapathy » Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:11 pm

Now that I officially own a rather fabulous Pooper Scooper, I am strongly considering a Doggie Dooley as well. Party in my yard!

I think we may have some members with Dooley experience. Winter isn't long here, so I'm feeling optimistic. Who has experience and/or speculation on Dooley use for a home with two medium sized dogs in the lower Midwest? :) Other waste disposal talk welcome. :)

http://www.doggiedooley.com/
downwithapathy

Re: Dog Waste Disposal!

Postby ellispots » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:08 pm

Right now, I use Poopbags.com for my supply. But I was also thinking of installing a Doggy Dooley, that is, until I found the Bokashi Cycle. This thing, looks COOL. :D And I personally think it's better than the Dooley.

http://www.bokashicycle.com/petcycle.html
ellispots

Postby flower » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:26 pm

[quote="ellispots";p=1811]Right now, I use Poopbags.com for my supply. But I was also thinking of installing a Doggy Dooley, that is, until I found the Bokashi Cycle. This thing, looks COOL. :D And I personally think it's better than the Dooley.

Hey you! I'm glad you made it over here & I love your username (and your avatar, of course!). :)

We use poopbags.com right now, too, but i'm going to have to check out the Bokashi Cycle.
flower

Twitter handle: veganflower

Postby downwithapathy » Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:48 pm

[quote="ellispots";p=1811]Right now, I use Poopbags.com for my supply. But I was also thinking of installing a Doggy Dooley, that is, until I found the Bokashi Cycle. This thing, looks COOL. :D And I personally think it's better than the Dooley.

Oh wow. Thanks! I'm not yet sure which idea appeals to me more at this point, but I've wanted to Bokashi my food waste for YEARS. I'm not sure what's stopping me. Initial investment, probably. That and my lack of garden (but I just bought some goods for square foot gardening--wish me and my brown, crispy thumb luck). :uhoh:
downwithapathy

Postby panthera » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:03 am

I have tried Bokashi for years, never successfully. Not sure if the organisms were dead (I got them all through Gaia, the online store). Currently trying to figure out what to do with two 5-lb buckets full of basically rotten vegetable/fruit remains. Not suitable for gardens, nobody w/composting system who can take it, hate to just throw in dumpster, especially b/c I really like the buckets! Even just finding someone w/a car, driving to an abandoned field w/no one around, and dumping it would be a really messy, stinking affair.

Be careful. maybe be sure the bokashi is guaranteed?
panthera

Postby downwithapathy » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:49 pm

Thanks for the info, panthera! How disappointing! I want to compost. I feel like I *should*, but I have always lived on a small property in close proximity with my neighbors. I am not comfortable with stinking up the block.
downwithapathy

Postby debiguity » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:47 am

I am in a condo with a patio, and I am composting. It doesn't smell at all, as long as you're making sure to use enough brown with the green. (The ratio is something like brown:green 3:1)

You can also do direct composting. This is really something you'd do seasonally, because what you do is bury your vegetable remains in the ground where you grow stuff. So you don't do this during growing seasons, but in between them. A coworker does this, says it's great because it's so easy. The drawback is that you can't do this year round.
debiguity

Twitter handle: debiguity

Postby panthera » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:00 am

Yes, compost really shouldn't smell if done right. I used to go around pointing to piles of leaves, trying to figure out how to get them back to my backyard to balance out all the greens. Back when I had a backyard.

What kind of container/system are you using, Deb?
panthera

Postby debiguity » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:44 am

It's pretty basic. A low-cost one from the county. It sits on the ground (the bottom is open, it's not fully contained), and there are vents, and the top comes off so that more can be added. I'm not very good with it, overall - I need to add more water, and to mix it up a bit. But it doesn't smell, at least!

I always struggle with the leaves during the summer. Enough leaves collect on my patio in the fall/winter that I am fine then. But then I run out, and what to do? A friend used to have a garbage pail where he'd collect a ton of leaves in the fall/winter, enough to last him through the summer. I really could go around and collect leaves from the ground just on the condo property, and I'd be fine! I'm just too lazy to do it! :D
debiguity

Twitter handle: debiguity

Postby Miso Vegan » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:26 am

Wait, we are still talking about composting our dog's (or cat's) poop, right?
Miso Vegan

Next

Return to General Dog Talk