Vegan Ethos

...a real forum.

The care and feeding of tiny little parasites

Practical wisdom for Vegan parents-to-be and new vegan parents.

The care and feeding of tiny little parasites

Postby Ariann » Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:15 am

Baby Ariann is now five days old and it's been a crazy five days (name will be given on Monday). Some things have gone well, lots of things have gone not super well and I've not lived up to my own expectations, which has been really demoralizing at points. My milk was delayed in coming in (I think I got some actual milk this afternoon), probably because of the massive amounts of fluids I was given in labor. I also managed to learn how to latch on in the hospital, but then promptly forgot how when I got home, so I've been dealing with a lot of baby biting which hurts like crazy, gave me blood blisters, and made me afraid of nursing. At night, even if I nursed for over an hour at a time, the baby still became totally inconsolable after coming off the boob. We also didn't have any poopy diapers until day 4 (and still have only had 1, but there was a ton of meconium in the amniotic fluid by the time of birth, so we know it's not an intestinal problem). The pediatrician in the hospital gave us formula to take home and supplement with in case we didn't have any poopy diapers and so I have now given a total of 4 oz. or so of cow's milk formula. Giving the formula really broke my heart, both because I felt like a total failure at feeding and soothing my child and because of the vegan issue (although I know soy formula isn't vegan either). After having an ounce of formula, the baby is totally soothed and calm and will actually sleep a few hours, which is both an enormous relief and knife in my heart (because why couldn't I produce the same result myself?).

Yesterday I went to a lactation consultant who really helped both in terms of technique and confidence-building. The lactation consultant was thrilled that I'm vegan. She was also afraid I would develop thrush because of all the antibiotics I was given in labor, so she put me on a ton of probiotics. She also gave me a nipple cream that had beeswax in it (guh) which is supposed to help prevent thrush; I feel a little bit better about using it than the hospital-provided lanolin cream.

In good news, Mr. Ariann has been very helpful and is really patient about calming the baby and taking over after I night-nurse and have a totally crazed baby on my hands afterward. Also, the problem with the baby's left arm seems to have almost resolved itself. It was good enough on Friday that the pediatrician decided not to prescribe physical therapy, which we had been expecting.

Hoping tonight for a couple three hour sleep stretches!
Ariann

Re: The care and feeding of tiny little parasites

Postby Emiloid » Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:39 pm

Good luck, Ariann! Sounds like things are getting better, but you've been through quite an ordeal.
Living la vida local.
Emiloid

Postby Shiva » Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:31 am

I think it's great that you sought advice from a lactation consultant. The care and feeding of tiny little parasites is hard work, and doesn't always come "naturally", easily, or simply. If the nonvegan formula bought you some peace of mind (and maybe some precious sanity-preserving sleep) and tided baby Ariann over until your milk came in, well... that's milk under the bridge or whatever. You did the best that you could, which is all that we can ever do for our offspring.

Be kind to yourself, mama. :kiss: :heart:
~Shiva , Chief Troublemaker
If this post was edited, it was probably for spelling.
Shiva

Twitter handle: ShivaWolfe

Postby Miso Vegan » Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:38 am

Yes to all above!
Miso Vegan

Postby gladcow » Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:39 pm

many hugs, Ariann.
everyone's right and no one is sorry, that's the start and the end of the story
gladcow

Postby Ariann » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:16 pm

We are calming down here! Nursing pretty much every hour and a half to two hours, this kid is insatiable. I'm getting a pump soon and that will hopefully allow the Mr to take some feeding so I can sleep. We had the baby naming yesterday, it was a really big day for all of us. People from work came, which was really nice. I have totally been working from home, I can't help myself, I care about what happens while I'm gone and I'm also pretty bored mentally.

Anyway, we've failed at the gender neutral thing. The baby is female, we call her she, and we call her beautiful all day long. So, whatever. I have minimal energy right now to devote to making my kid an even bigger weirdo than she's already going to be.

Her name is Malka (queen, after my grandma) Freyda (joy). Last name is husbands-mine. That was the difficult part!

And I can't figure out how to add a picture from my phone, the files are too big.
Ariann

Postby Shiva » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:50 pm

OMG what a beautiful name! :heart: :baby:
~Shiva , Chief Troublemaker
If this post was edited, it was probably for spelling.
Shiva

Twitter handle: ShivaWolfe

Postby gladcow » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:59 pm

I'm glad things are coming along well. I love her name. I called my babies beautiful (even the boy!) and I also called them smart. Still do! They can be beautiful AND smart AND weird.
everyone's right and no one is sorry, that's the start and the end of the story
gladcow

Postby quagga » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:12 am

Beautiful, smart name! :heart:

I am glad that things are going better. Hugs all around!
quagga

Postby Miso Vegan » Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:43 am

That's a great update. :) Great name.
By the way, Griffin nursed CON.STANT.LY. when he was little. CONSTANTLY.
Miso Vegan

Next

Return to Pregnancy & Nursing