Vegan Ethos

...a real forum.

The care and feeding of tiny little parasites

Practical wisdom for Vegan parents-to-be and new vegan parents.

Re: The care and feeding of tiny little parasites

Postby dropscone » Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:59 pm

Yes, great update! Lovely name, and there's nothing wrong with being told you're beautiful as long as that's one of the many positive things! (and there's nothing wrong with being a weirdo! :))

(<- is one and proud)
"and all the world is biscuit shaped, it's just for me to feed my face, and I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste..."
dropscone

Postby Ariann » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:03 pm

We have thrush, which explains her fussiness and my pain. Nice pediatricians were happy to call in a scrip for her, meanie midwives want me to trek out for an appt tomorrow afternoon before they'll prescribe anything even though it was diagnosed by their recommended lactation consultant.
Ariann

Postby Ariann » Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:38 am

sad, happy, sad, happy, repeat as necessary.

Taking a break from nursing, b/c it's just too freaking painful right now. We bought some soy formula (which is made from 100% crap apparently) and a hand pump to hopefully not destroy my very limited supply.
Ariann

Postby Miso Vegan » Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:36 am

Awww. And owwww.
{{{Ariann + Malka Freyda}}}
Miso Vegan

Postby Ariann » Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:22 pm

THANK YOU, VE-ers! And thank you Shiva! We got your presents and they are so wonderful and appreciated! :heart:

We're still not nursing. We upgraded to an electric pump, but pumping still sucks. The amount I'm producing is woefully inadequate to her needs - I'm wondering if when she nurses she was getting so little and that's why she was so pissed off all the time. Bottle feeding is really inconvenient and messy and she usually spits up a lot afterward and it's hard to predict how long it's going to take for her to spit up so we keep missing it and getting grossness all over the place. When I can give her a bottle of actual breast milk and she spits up half of it it's just so sad. We did get a used swing from someone which seems to soothe her a bit, if she's in the mood to be soothed.
Ariann

Postby Dugan » Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:57 pm

Welcome to the world, Malka Freyda! Ariann, I'm sorry that motherhood has been a rocky start for you. So many changes and so unpredictable - and having to cope with it all while sleep deprived! You're so committed to being a great ima that I'm certain you will find your way through.
Dugan

Postby dropscone » Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:08 pm

[quote="Ariann";p=4436]
The amount I'm producing is woefully inadequate to her needs - I'm wondering if when she nurses she was getting so little and that's why she was so pissed off all the time. .

In the class I took we had one session devoted entirely to breastfeeding and the woman specifically said that babies can get a lot more milk out of your boob than a pump can, so not to panic if you don't seem to be able to pump very much. She also suggested feeding one side while pumping the other side (although I know that's not useful advice to you at the moment!).
"and all the world is biscuit shaped, it's just for me to feed my face, and I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste..."
dropscone

Postby vegankitty » Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:59 pm

What a beautiful name! I'm sorry it's been so up and down for you.
vegankitty

Twitter handle: vegankitty

Postby wildmindgirl » Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:38 pm

I'm sorry it's been difficult for you. I struggled mightily with nursing. After weeks, neither of my babies got enough milk from me and were losing weight, so they were eventually put on the bottle by the Dr., which I still regret. I'm not sure, maybe I could have done more to make it happen, but I was just so tired of the crying-mine and theirs. I'm always amazed when women say their milk literally can squirt out in say, the shower. I could massage my breast for minutes and would get a drop or two. It's just not easy for some women and I'm not sure why. My stress factors were through the roof at the time, which didn't help at all.

[quote="Ariann";p=4436]
"The amount I'm producing is woefully inadequate to her needs - I'm wondering if when she nurses she was getting so little and that's why she was so pissed off all the time."
Love where you are right now.
wildmindgirl

Twitter handle: @wildmindgirl

Postby Ariann » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:30 pm

The nursing still hurts. We're now using a nipple shield which helps a little although sometimes the maneuvers she does to get latched result in the shield moving and covering her nose so she can't breathe and we have to start all over. We're nursing and then supplementing after each feeding. I'm making about half what I should be according to the LC. So I just got put on a prescription drug that's supposed to help. I'm also wondering if it's a thyroid issue.
Ariann

PreviousNext

Return to Pregnancy & Nursing