Vegan Ethos

...a real forum.

Dog Shows and Puppy Mills

Let's talk about speciesism.

Dog Shows and Puppy Mills

Postby Shiva » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:43 am

“Best in Show” Poised to Wreak Havoc Once Again

Coinciding with Fashion Week, The 135th Annual Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show opened on Monday at Madison Square Garden. The popular two day event culminates in crowning an unsuspecting pooch “Best in Show.”

The New York Times was first on the scene—featuring an ode to the Xoloitzcuintli (Xolos, for short), a Mexican hairless dog. This breed is newly recognized by the American Kennel Club; in all, there are now 170 “official” breeds. Does that mean it’s only a matter of time before celebrities are parading around Xolos as if they are the latest Coach bag?

(The answer is a resounding yes.)

Beyond the preening, the tricks and the eccentric canine coifs, lies a dark(er) side to whole event that, largely, goes completely ignored—and spells disaster for dogs; whatever breed happens to win the contest inevitably becomes the hot commodity; that’s not to mention the dogs who become the crowd favorites—who then become consumer favorites. One thing is certain: whatever breed becomes the latest obsession ends up filling shelters and pounds across the United States and beyond.

Hit the link for the full article.

The Friends of Animals article includes a link to this fact sheet about puppy mills: Puppy Mills, Pet Shops, and the AKC Basic Facts, which is a good place to begin educating yourself so that you can better advocate against both dog shows and puppy mills.
~Shiva , Chief Troublemaker
If this post was edited, it was probably for spelling.
Shiva

Twitter handle: ShivaWolfe

Re: Dog Shows and Puppy Mills

Postby Shiva » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:51 am

I am puzzled by this line at the end of FoA's Puppy Mill Fact Sheet:
Send a donation to Friends of Animals to support our nationwide breeding program and to help us expose puppy mills.

I've written to FoA, and will post their response.
Shiva

Postby Dugan » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:27 pm

I haven't read the article yet. As some of you may know, I used to show dogs in the breed ring. In addition to the overpopulation issues due to the sudden popularity of a breed pulled out in the quote above, the strongest argument against purebred anythings that I can think of is: it narrows the gene pool. No matter how "ethical" a breeder is, no matter how stringent their health criteria, no matter how strong the support for health information is in the parent breed club - purebreds are necessarily bad for a species as a whole. No matter what any breeder tells you, looks always come before health. What they are most interested in producing is the phenotype, not healthy puppies.
Dugan

Postby vegankitty » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:40 pm

That is a weird line. I'm going to ask Priscilla Feral on twitter what it means. I'm impatient.
vegankitty

Twitter handle: vegankitty

Postby vegankitty » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:46 pm

Well I asked someone from FOA 's DC office and he said it's a miaprint and should say antibreeding. FWIW.
vegankitty

Twitter handle: vegankitty

Postby Raiem » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:54 pm

I saw a show not long ago about AKC dog shows. The owners were doing a lot of inbreeding to get the "perfect" looking dog. I used to know some people who had show horses. In order to get a horse to hold it's tail up, they rub ginger in the anus. The burning makes the horses hold their tails up and this is the prefered "look" for a show horse. That has been a long time ago. I hope they don't still do that. It used to make me so mad when the owners were talking about that, just like it was nothing. They didn't care if it hurt the horse. Not one bit.
I think showing any animal SUCKS.
Just what you want to be, you'll be in the end--Justin Hayward
Raiem

Postby gladcow » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:51 pm

there was talk in the office about the dog show. I pointedly said "wake me when a mutt wins" and went back to work :brood:
everyone's right and no one is sorry, that's the start and the end of the story
gladcow

Postby Shiva » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:54 pm

[quote="vegankitty";p=359]That is a weird line. I'm going to ask Priscilla Feral on twitter what it means. I'm impatient.

[quote="vegankitty";p=368]Well I asked someone from FOA 's DC office and he said it's a miaprint and should say antibreeding. FWIW.

Thanks, vegankitty! I haven't heard back yet, but I do hope that they change it.
Shiva

Postby Shiva » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:55 pm

Dog shows make me want to go to the dog pound and adopt the "ugliest" "mutt" that I can find. :x
Shiva

Postby bluedawg » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:07 am

[quote="Raiem";p=369]I used to know some people who had show horses. In order to get a horse to hold it's tail up, they rub ginger in the anus. The burning makes the horses hold their tails up and this is the prefered "look" for a show horse.

!!!! ugh, so awful.

two of my colleagues went to the westminster dog show this week. one of them (the wife half) is on sabbatical this semester, and it's something she has always wanted to do, so they went. i never know what to say because she's so excited, so i've just been doing the, "oh, have fun..." thing. sigh.
bluedawg

Twitter handle: @veganchai

Next

Return to Animal Rights