Vegan Ethos

...a real forum.

Abolition or Welfare? Do I have to choose?

Let's talk about speciesism.

Re: Abolition or Welfare? Do I have to choose?

Postby Shiva » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:20 am

[quote="Miso Vegan";p=772][quote="Shiva";p=769]
Is this going to about a specific piece of legislation, or will it be general enough to apply to any welfare campaign or initiative? If it's the latter, I think that we could make it a part of Vegan Ethos. What do you think?

The former. We just want somewhere to point people for more reading, without getting into the heated arguments that were so divisive in California on Prop 2.
Thanks, though!

Okay. Let us know if we can be of any help. (That's Atom and I, not me in the plural :P )

p.s.I :heart: Wordpress!
~Shiva , Chief Troublemaker
If this post was edited, it was probably for spelling.
Shiva

Twitter handle: ShivaWolfe

Postby panthera » Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:04 am

[quote="bluedawg";p=752]some of it boils down to the fact that i'm not comfortable telling anyone that using animals is okay, so i i'm not comfortable supporting campaigns or products that convey that message. if asked, i always advocate the vegan option (not the cage-free option, not the bigger cages option, not the grass-fed option).

Yes, James LaVeck has good stuff to say about protecting our vision, not compromising it. One of the Truthiness or Movement Snatcher essays. Will explain later or someone else can, I'm sure!

[quote="bluedawg";p=752]i agree that single-issue campaigns are not necessarily a bad thing. if they focus on abolishing animal use (e.g., the carriage horse ban), i'm totally all for it.

I would add that it should have a backdrop of being against all forms of animal exploitation, with that issue just being one instance.
panthera

Postby vegankitty » Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:33 am

[quote="panthera";p=836][quote="bluedawg";p=752]

I would add that it should have a backdrop of being against all forms of animal exploitation, with that issue just being one instance.

I get what you're saying but that isn't always practical. In the carriage horse campaign , at least on the street collecting signatures and educating about the issue and the law we are trying to get passed here, there simply isn't time to talk about animal exploitation in general. The table has vegan literature if people want it and of course if you get in a longer conversation about animal use it is relevant but if you are trying to ban the use of carriage horses that has to be your focus. Same with anti BSL campaigns and other campaigns specific to companion animals. I have never been involved with any nationwide campaigns in depth-only local ones that are narrowly focused. I still think they are useful-for one, the campaigns attract nonvegans and often their interest in that issue will be expanded to other issues and animal rights in general by meeting and working with vegans.
vegankitty

Twitter handle: vegankitty

Postby panthera » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:29 pm

panthera

Postby Miso Vegan » Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:29 pm

Which thread has the study called "Impacts of Animal Well-Being and Welfare Media on Meat Demand"? I was going to post Francione's response there, but I'll put it here for now:
http://www.abolitionistapproach.com/sci ... s-useless/
Miso Vegan

Postby Shiva » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:24 am

Shiva

Postby Shiva » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:15 am

Gary Francione interview in Utne Reader: Go Vegan or Go Home
Shiva

Postby vegankitty » Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:33 pm

The link isn't working. I tried on Android and iPhone so maybe it's a mobile issue.
vegankitty

Twitter handle: vegankitty

Postby quagga » Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:47 am

Here is a print link. It worked on my iPad.
http://www.utne.com/print-article.aspx?id=2147490373
quagga

Previous

Return to Animal Rights