Vegan Ethos

...a real forum.

VegNews Photos Often Not Vegan

Why are you vegan? What is ethical veganism? How does being vegan shape your world view?

Re: VegNews Photos Often Not Vegan

Postby Miso Vegan » Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:57 pm

Yeah, "disappointing" is about how I find both of these issues (VegNews and Natalie Portman), for the publicity reason.
Miso Vegan

Postby Shiva » Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:00 pm

T0tally agree with you re: celebrities, vegankitty.

I also think that it will be sad if/when VegNews folds over this. Is that what the vitriolic vegans want? How f*cking counterproductive! :-( No compassion for fellow vegans. I don't get it.
~Shiva , Chief Troublemaker
If this post was edited, it was probably for spelling.
Shiva

Twitter handle: ShivaWolfe

Postby Miso Vegan » Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:24 pm

There are some who have said they "wouldn't care" if VegNews folded as a result, and many who have said they canceled their subscription, so if they weren't exaggerating, this will have a significant financial impact.

I don't like what they did (the pictures, the censoring, the half-assed explanation), but I don't want to them to go away. Even though I can read it for free at the store, I subscribed to the electronic version this morning.
Miso Vegan

Postby Shiva » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:21 am

[quote="Miso Vegan";p=2144]I don't like what they did (the pictures, the censoring, the half-assed explanation), but I don't want to them to go away. Even though I can read it for free at the store, I subscribed to the electronic version this morning.

I think that is pretty cool, Miso.
~Shiva , Chief Troublemaker
If this post was edited, it was probably for spelling.
Shiva

Twitter handle: ShivaWolfe

Postby stegan » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:50 am

I wouldn't say this upset me- I'm more confused by the laziness of it all. As an example- I was leafing through a copy of ReadyMade yesterday and thinking about how great and professional their photos looked, and were clearly not stock photography. And how could I be so certain? Because they are aimed at a DIY audience, and their audience would be rightly pissed if all those pictures ended up being stock or swiped from somewhere else. Vegans are dorky, DIY people too. We know it, and VegNews knows it. How did they think it would pan out if people discovered this secret?

I wish VegNews no ill will- I just wish onto them a staff photographer.
stegan

Twitter handle: stegan

Postby vegankitty » Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:07 pm

I was disappointed and upset at first- disappointed at the use of stock photos and then upset and more disappointed in their behavior. But now I'm past it. I really find it hard to stay mad. What's more troublesome is the divisiveness it has caused- either you are "not vegan enough" if you aren't outraged or your "militant and divisive" if you are.
vegankitty

Twitter handle: vegankitty

Postby stegan » Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:27 pm

Yeah, in the end, this is a movement with bigger slabs of tofu to fry. While vegan policing can be a fun sidebar, it's not worth expending the energy on.
stegan

Twitter handle: stegan

Postby vegankitty » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:20 pm

vegankitty

Twitter handle: vegankitty

Postby Miso Vegan » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:36 pm

[quote="stegan";p=2153]

I wish VegNews no ill will- I just wish onto them a staff photographer.

Heh.

But not very realistic. They don't have a test kitchen where they make the recipes, for example. The recipes are email in from their writers, who probably don't have easy access to a professional photog who will do the work for cheap.
Most of their food-related articles come from writers all over the US (and beyond). So having a photographer on staff in San Fran won't do them much good.

Also, food photography is MUCH harder/trickier/skill-based than pictures of things. And half the time, the food isn't even real. I wouldn't be surprised if half the "real meat" pics in VegNews were not of meat but of plastic.
Miso Vegan

Postby Miso Vegan » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:48 pm

Miso Vegan

PreviousNext

Return to Being Vegan