Vegan Ethos

...a real forum.

Non vegans being thoughtful about your veganism

Why are you vegan? What is ethical veganism? How does being vegan shape your world view?

Non vegans being thoughtful about your veganism

Postby gladcow » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:24 pm

It always feels nice to be considered by the non vegans. I'm lucky to have a great co worker who always makes sure I'm included at work. But, I thought to start this thread because of an acquaintance who is going to massage school. I "help her do her homework" by getting free massages occasionally. After I went the first time, she went and found vegan massage lotion, just for me. It was really unexpected and great.

What did a non vegan do to help you feel included and respected lately?
everyone's right and no one is sorry, that's the start and the end of the story
gladcow

Re: Non vegans being thoughtful about your veganism

Postby debiguity » Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:55 am

A few months ago several of us at work sucked it up and did some really boring but needed work. I actually did about 90% of it. As a thank you (because taking one for the team in terms of getting it all done meant our team didn't get chewed out by upper management) my project manager took us out to lunch. My team lead immediately suggested an american grill type place. No vegan options. So I just didn't go. Apparently my team lead said (rather ironically, I thought) at the lunch that it was a real shame that I wasn't there because I had done the majority of the work.

A few days ago I ended up helping support a production issue - meant I worked an almost 12 hour day. It wasn't even our project going in, we were just helping them test it to make sure their install went okay. It didn't go okay, hence the extra 3.5 hrs tacked on to my day. The project manager said, this time, "how are thai restaurants for vegan food? If I took us to a thai restaurant, could you find stuff to eat?"

So that was cool. I'll actually get my lunch-reward for real this time, though in my opinion I was just doing my job and she doesn't need to take us to lunch at all. But as long as she IS trying to thank us through lunch, I'm happy that she is making sure this time that she's being inclusive...
debiguity

Twitter handle: debiguity

Postby JasperKat » Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:57 am

My dad is really thoughtful about my diet (and Mr K's as well) after years of not being so. He doesn't quite get it (and will ask questions like "do you eat mashed potatoes? How about shrimp? Bananas?") but he tries and that's awesome.

The friends that we camp with every year are also super thoughtful. The annual cooking contest is totally vegan and when someone is cooking for the group, the non vegans either make a vegan meal or are sure to make a vegan option.

-JK
JasperKat

Postby la végétalienne » Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:45 am

I was at a bar with a vegan co-worker and her boyfriend and she asked to have the pickle in his Bloody Mary and he replied, "If you want, but just so you know, it's sitting in a non-vegan drink: this has Worcestershire sauce in it." I was pretty impressed especially since I spent so much time last year trying to get people to realize that cheese isn't vegan.
la végétalienne

Postby Shiva » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:29 am

A pickle in a Bloody Mary? Ew.
~Shiva , Chief Troublemaker
If this post was edited, it was probably for spelling.
Shiva

Twitter handle: ShivaWolfe

Postby vegankitty » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:36 am

One of my clients didn't want to just give me a gift card last Christmas and got me a lip balm labelled vegan from Victoria's Secret. Doubly thoughtful because she said since I'm outside all day she imagines I use a lot of lip balm. Sadly the balm somehow fell out of the tube yesterday. I had it for over a year. (It was Christmas 2009 that she gave it to me.
vegankitty

Twitter handle: vegankitty

Postby gladcow » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:11 pm

NPA, my industrious coworker, brought in some veganized gf magic bars today and OH LORDY are they good.

She keeps me in sweets. Recently she also made me a huge gf tiramisu for my decade veganniversary. She also does a fair amount of recipe testing for me. She's an omni, but respects my choices and I am endlessly greatful.
everyone's right and no one is sorry, that's the start and the end of the story
gladcow

Postby DasTeufulNagatier » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:17 am

I'm going to a career opportunity event next week at school and I got an email about it today that said there will be a vegan option available for lunch. Yay! :)
DasTeufulNagatier

Return to Being Vegan