Vegan Ethos

...a real forum.

Are you still vegan?

Why are you vegan? What is ethical veganism? How does being vegan shape your world view?

Re: Are you still vegan?

Postby matryoshka » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:40 am

bluedawg summed up my feelings on the issue :)

i feel the same way about feminism. i don't agree with everything considered "feminist" but i'm not going to stop saying i am one just because some people use the term in a different way that i don't like/agree with or that other people don't like/agree with.
the vegan formerly known as bekah-chan
matryoshka

Postby Shiva » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:27 am

[quote="matryoshka";p=716]i feel the same way about feminism. i don't agree with everything considered "feminist" but i'm not going to stop saying i am one just because some people use the term in a different way that i don't like/agree with or that other people don't like/agree with.

+1! Good analogy!
~Shiva , Chief Troublemaker
If this post was edited, it was probably for spelling.
Shiva

Twitter handle: ShivaWolfe

Postby bluedawg » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:17 am

[quote="matryoshka";p=716]bluedawg summed up my feelings on the issue :)

i feel the same way about feminism. i don't agree with everything considered "feminist" but i'm not going to stop saying i am one just because some people use the term in a different way that i don't like/agree with or that other people don't like/agree with.

heh, we must really be in a mind-meld then, because i totally had a paragraph written about feminism but then i baleeted it. :D in other words, +1!
bluedawg

Twitter handle: @veganchai

Postby Miso Vegan » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:39 am

Not to hark back to VRF too much, but didn't Dandelion say the feminism analogy didn't work for some reason or another? Yet they seem to parallel, which can only mean we/i just never understood him.
Miso Vegan

Postby JasperKat » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:17 pm

[quote="dropscone";p=695]This whole thing has confused me, and I'm worried that makes me look like an idiot but I really don't get it... unless there's a lot of cultural stuff going on in the US that isn't going on here which makes vegan shorthand for something else there nowadays??

If there's cultural stuff going on over here I'm missing it, too. I am also confused by the discussion and no matter how it's explained to me I can't comprehend ditching a perfectly useful and descriptive word because it's being used incorrectly by a handful of people. I see that other people (Dugan, for example) get some hassle when they tell people they're vegan and find it a burdensome word, but I don't understand how saying "plant-based" or going through the specifics is less annoying. In fact, if I told people I lived a plant-based lifestyle I would get a lot of eye rolls. It sounds like "level 5 vegan" from The Simpsons (he doesn't eat anything that casts a shadow :lol: ).

Chances are that someone who doesn't "get" what vegan means they're going to need further explanation no matter what you call it. Although maybe I've been vegan long enough that anyone in my life who needs to know about my lifestyle already does and I don't find myself explaning it too much.

-JK
JasperKat

Postby Raiem » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:46 am

I'm sure that I'm not 100% vegan. Not on purpose, but because there are so many things out there that have animal products of some type, things that I would never think of. So, as I become more educated, I get closer. There must be a lot more I don't know about, because I don't know why the word vegan carries the baggage it seems to.

I think we should be proud to be vegan.
Just what you want to be, you'll be in the end--Justin Hayward
Raiem

Postby panthera » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:46 pm

I was a little :uhoh: when I saw the title & length of this thread. Then I read it and was more :sweat: . I think most of here feel like bluedawg & the +1'ers, which is why we're here. :)

I have to say I'm :thinking: about "plant-based" b/c it's so vague. A lot of people could describe themselves as being "plant-based," so if we all advocate "plant-based-ism," then they're happy about their current consumption and less likely to take up that fundamentalist stuff called "veganism."

Edit: Having thought about it a few more minutes, I officially :down: "plant-based" as a substitute for "vegan." There may be other uses for it, such as for a "vegan-leaning" individual.
panthera

Postby vegematic » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:24 pm

[quote="bluedawg";p=703]
i would like to be clear, however, that i am never trying to avoid using the word vegan, and certainly not because i think it has 'too much baggage.' i am completely mystified by that argument and i am fully on the side of representing as a 'normal' vegan by just trying to make my needs known when applicable, and not being a screaming harpy while doing it.

I am a bluedawg vegan.
I just walked. I was very happy.
-Bill Bryson.
vegematic

Postby bluedawg » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:36 am

:love:
bluedawg

Twitter handle: @veganchai

Postby Raiem » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:04 pm

+1 or maybe it should be +2? :nice: