Vegan Ethos

...a real forum.

yucky potential jobs; wish I didn't have to consider them

put yer lolz n stuf heer.

yucky potential jobs; wish I didn't have to consider them

Postby panthera » Fri May 13, 2011 8:14 pm

I am being emotionally pressured into pursuing a canvassing job w/Grassroots Campaigns for the time being while I look for a more suitable job. I totally understand the reasoning behind it, but I am totally dreading it. I have a phone interview scheduled for this evening and have been very upset just thinking about it. I had a hard time sounding interested during the initial screening phone call, and I almost want to sound really taciturn and boring, so they won't even hire me. panthimo realizes that it will be awful for me, that I will be getting paid to be a pariah, but the key is that I'll be getting paid. He's been really supportive about my having such a difficult time trying to find a job, but he's anxious every time he makes even the smallest purchase.

:embar:
panthera

Re: yucky potential jobs; wish I didn't have to consider the

Postby Lolamako » Sat May 14, 2011 3:16 am

Bummer.

Would you get paid even if you didn't ,like, get anybody to sign anything/give donations? Are you good, or maybe could learn to be good, at not giving a flying f*ck about what people think of you, including managers/bosses? :/
Lolamako

Postby matriarco » Sat May 14, 2011 3:12 pm

Have you talked to Neil? He did this for a few years and actually liked a lot of things about it. And he did door-to-door canvassing, which I think would be harder than the standing-on-the-corner fundraising.
matriarco

Postby panthera » Sun May 15, 2011 8:42 am

matriarco (feels so weird calling you that!), I just emailed him, thanks. Lola, they wouldn't keep me on if I didn't get a certain quota. On my first day, I'll be expected to get $100-150 (3 hrs of actual canvassing). If I don't make that in a few tries, they give up on me. If I didn't care what boss-people thought of me, I probably wouldn't care what random stranger-people thought of me, so I'd be fine with the job.

Fortunately, one of the orgs would be Save The Children, which sounds pretty good. But if I'm going to force myself to get activist-y, it seems like I should do it for non-human animals. oh well.
panthera

Return to Fun & Games & Chat & Nonsense