Vegan Ethos

...a real forum.

Dec. 3 2012 Issue of Time magazine

From the local to the global – discuss it among vegans.

Dec. 3 2012 Issue of Time magazine

Postby topperarnold » Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:02 pm

The US cover story carries the tag-line "the anit-food-snob diet". The feature story is by Dr. Oz and I like the premise of the article: You can still eat healthy food without all the foodie BS our culture seems to be obsessed with these days.

What really struck me was a statement in the closing paragraphs:

Throughout the developed world, we are at a point in our evolution at which famine, which essentially governed the rise and fall of civilizations throughout history, is no longer an acute threat.

I don't know why but this and the following paragraphs pissed me off. His tone was almost one of "we have food in the developed nation and we really don't need to worry about the famine THAT ACTUALLY EXISTS in our world."

Meh. I can't express it, but it just seemed like Time missed the opportunity to really educate a lot of people about the food industry in the US.
topperarnold

Re: Dec. 3 2012 Issue of Time magazine

Postby Ariann » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:50 am

yay, look who's here!
Ariann

Postby Ariann » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:52 am

Also, Dr. Oz = tool.
Ariann

Postby topperarnold » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:39 am

Ariann wrote:Also, Dr. Oz = tool.

:laugh: :heart:
topperarnold

Postby Shiva » Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:57 pm

I am unfamiliar with the work of Dr. Oz, but from what little I have heard I am completely willing to believe Ariann.

The famine remark covers most of the -isms that exist. Whatajerk.
~Shiva , Chief Troublemaker
If this post was edited, it was probably for spelling.
Shiva

Twitter handle: ShivaWolfe

Postby Dugan » Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:53 pm

I've read the article. I did like the main gist, which is that eating healthy doesn't have to be expensive or complicated.

The paragraph mentioning famine struck me more as irrelevant given the point of the article and its intended audience. He doesn't discount famine. He just says that it isn't an acute threat in developed nations, which is true but also irrelevant in the context of the article. It was about how to eat healthier & cheaper in America in a publication targeted to the U.S. It was not about world hunger, developing nations, or famine in general or in the US.

The following paragraph, that we have a, "curious luxury of being fussy, even snooty, about what we eat" is absolutely true. I can choose to be vegan as a function of where I live, when I live, and the amount of money I can spend on food. It is a luxury to be able to make this choice.

Granted, I think there was room for improvement in his article; however, his dietary suggestions are much healthier than what the average American consumes.
Dugan

Return to News & Politics