Vegan Ethos

...a real forum.

Democrats Missing, Wisconsin Vote on Cuts Is Delayed

From the local to the global – discuss it among vegans.

Democrats Missing, Wisconsin Vote on Cuts Is Delayed

Postby shananigans » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:54 pm

This is kind of awesome.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/18/us/18wisconsin.html?_r=1&hp

A bunch of people in my lecture this afternoon were trash talking unions before class. :x I think they were just mad they had to figure out what to do with their kids while the teachers are out there fighting for their collective bargaining rights.
shananigans

Re: Democrats Missing, Wisconsin Vote on Cuts Is Delayed

Postby bluedawg » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:00 am

facebook is making me stabby right now. 98% of my facebook friends that i went to high school with are conservative, and i CANNOT HANDLE THEIR BLABBER ANYMORE.

our governor is full of fail and i am really, really upset about this new budget crap. and on a personal note, not too calm about the fact that we just bought a more expensive house and both of our salaries are about to be cut by more than 10%.
bluedawg

Twitter handle: @veganchai

Postby DasTeufulNagatier » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:04 am

Ugh, bluedawg, I feel you. That kind of shiz is why I'm no longer on facebook.
DasTeufulNagatier

Postby bluedawg » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:09 am

i totally understand the impulse. i have such a weird dichotomy... college/grad school/vegan friends who are by and large very liberal (and agree with me 98% of the time), and then the high school friends who are by and large very conservative (and make me SO frustrated when they spout off). i have had several moments lately when i've been tempted to just unfriend everyone from high school, except the other two liberals. ;) i know that makes me sound petty but argh i just wish they would be quiet.
bluedawg

Twitter handle: @veganchai

Postby gladcow » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:29 pm

my friend, who hails from the midwest, just instigated a new policy for unfriending. If a post is 2 out of 3: stupid, dumb, boring. It seems to be working magjick on her friends' list. I'm tempted.
everyone's right and no one is sorry, that's the start and the end of the story
gladcow

Postby shananigans » Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:23 pm

I recently unfriended a high school acquaintance for posting a status update saying he hopes teachers get fired for missing school this past week. No regrets. You should try it, it's fun!
shananigans

Postby Raiem » Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:48 am

Yeah, sometimes you gotta just let 'em go. I had a friend and when I told her I was a vegeterian (before I became vegan) the other end of the phone got real quiet. She said "Why"
I said I didn't want to eat animals any more. More quiet. Then her response..."I can't imagine a meal without it". I haven't bothered to tell her I'm vegan. Not much point. It's too bad, but like I said, sometimes you gotta let 'em go.

Back on topic...I saw the news tonight and it said the democrats had left the state so they wouldn't have to vote. What a bunch of a##holes. Businesses all over the country would rejoice if they can bust the union in Wisconsin.
Just what you want to be, you'll be in the end--Justin Hayward
Raiem

Postby Shiva » Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:58 am

Raiem, are you saying that the Democrats who left the state (to stall the vote, not exactly to avoid it) are the assholes? I thought that what they did was pretty awesome. :) And I don't get where you're coming from in your last sentence - are you anti-union? :?
~Shiva , Chief Troublemaker
If this post was edited, it was probably for spelling.
Shiva

Twitter handle: ShivaWolfe

Postby Raiem » Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:26 pm

No No No....not anti-union at all!! Sorry it came off that way. I think unions are the only way workers can be treated fairly. I worked several times to try to get a union in where I worked to no avail. It's hard to get a union going in the South because of the right to work laws. There is no such thing as a closed shop in the South. I know from experience how bad the heads of bussiness hate the unions and they would love to get rid of them all everywhere. Now to the other question...yes, I did mean that I thought the guys who left were assholes. Maybe they got done what needed to be done that way, but everywhere I look, all I see is politicans screwing around with the people. When the budget is tight, they cut services...like fire teachers, police, firemen/firewomen. These are the things we need. Maybe it was cool for them to disappear, but I would rather see politicians work together to do the right thing for the people. Maybe them leaving was a demonstration of this....but this isolated action just reminds me of how litte the parties try to work together for the public good and it pisses me off. I would rather see the heads of the Democratic party in Wisconsin leading the protests than leaving the state. Refuse to vote and be thrown in jail. A different approach..a harder line..more involved reactions. Just my opinion.
Just what you want to be, you'll be in the end--Justin Hayward
Raiem

Postby Shiva » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:20 pm

[quote="Raiem";p=564]I would rather see the heads of the Democratic party in Wisconsin leading the protests than leaving the state. Refuse to vote and be thrown in jail. A different approach..a harder line..more involved reactions. Just my opinion.

Gotcha. thanks for elaborating. Your opinion is as welcome as anyone's! :)
~Shiva , Chief Troublemaker
If this post was edited, it was probably for spelling.
Shiva

Twitter handle: ShivaWolfe

Next

Return to News & Politics