Vegan Ethos

...a real forum.

Banned Books Week!

Vegan artists, vegans experiencing art, vegans in art. Vegans named Art!

Banned Books Week!

Postby Emiloid » Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:25 am

It's that time of year again... Banned Books Week! Here 's the link to ALA's main page about it: http://www.ala.org/bbooks/bannedbooksweek
Here are some classics that are frequently banned: http://www.ala.org/bbooks/frequentlycha ... s/classics

Anyone here planning on being DARING?? Hoping to BUCK THE SYSTEM? Wanting to READ SOMETHING GOOD?

Well, whatcha readin'?

I've been meaning to read a lot of the books that end up on banned lists.... I need to think about this. Geez... why are you trying to rush me?!?! :brood: :wink: :D

(I'm thinking about Rabbit, Run by John Updike. I've read other novels of his and liked them. In fact, I started Rabbit, Run at one point, but I think I was too young to really get it.)
Living la vida local.
Emiloid

Re: Banned Books Week!

Postby gladcow » Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:50 pm

my favorite more recently banned book is "The Absolutely True Diary of a Part Time Indian" by Sherman Alexie
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Absolu ... ime_Indian
everyone's right and no one is sorry, that's the start and the end of the story
gladcow

Postby gladcow » Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:52 pm

oh! we have "It's Perfectly Normal". that's a great sex ed/human biology book for kids.
gladcow

Postby gladcow » Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:56 pm

some of the recently challenged books give me a huh. Junie B Jones?! "The Chocolate War"?! "A Light in the Attic"?! "WHERE'S WALDO"?!?!?! really?!

but, we should definitely ban "Bridge to Terabithia", that book is mad traumatic & makes everyone cry.
gladcow

Postby quagga » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:48 pm

Emiloid wrote:but I think I was too young to really get it.)

I think I'm too young to really get a lot of books. (and movies, songs, plays, etc.)

I tried John Updike years ago and just couldn't get into it, much less get it.

I think I'll read An American Tragedy by Theodore Dreiser.
quagga

Postby Miso Vegan » Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:25 am

Shoot, I should have slowed down my reading of Slaughterhouse Five.
Miso Vegan

Postby Emiloid » Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:04 pm

It's funny why books get challenged. Some I can sort of understand... for instance, I remember The Chocolate War being pretty intense. It involves attempted (?) murder, and extreme bullying, doesn't it? I read it in 7th or 8th grade and loved it, but I can see why people would be afraid of it or think it's inapproriate. Personally, I think books like that are important for people to read. The tougher the topic, the more the reader has to grow and think.

Shel Silverstein's poems can be a bit subversive, and some of the drawings have nudity. I always thought they were funny, but I was reading to a 1st grader a while back who thought one of the pictures (which showed a naked kid's behind) was "gross". I'm pretty sure we skipped that poem... and I'm also pretty sure he looked at it again later!

I remember hearing about the Junie B. Jones books being challenged/banned. From what I recall, it was because Junie B. doesn't always use proper (adult) grammar. People were afraid kids would immitate her speech. :rolleyes:

Don't know about Where's Waldo?... that's just weird!

On a personal note, the week is nearly over and I'm sorry to report that haven't actually started reading a banned or challenged book yet. I don't actually feel obligated to read one this week... for me the week is a reminder to read those books all year 'round. Some of them are classics, and others are books I've been meaning to read for a while. I'll pick some up for sure and read them soon. :)
Living la vida local.
Emiloid

Postby Emiloid » Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:39 pm

...And, I've decided to re-read The Chocolate War. :D
Living la vida local.
Emiloid

Postby Emiloid » Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:58 am

OK... so, in adition to the troubling story line (involving bullying and death), The Chocolate War has a LOT of sexual references, some swearing, and some really rotten characters (both students and teachers). It's pretty disturbing, and I guess I can see why people would be concerned about it.

Of course, I still don't think it should be banned... it is really one of my favorite books ever, I think in large part because it's so intense. However, I also think I didn't quite "get" all of it when I read it the first time. That may be important to understanding how books impact people. They may stretch your experience and understanding, but only to a certain point.
Living la vida local.
Emiloid

Postby gladcow » Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:46 pm

after reading your description, I think I was mixing it up with "The Chocolate Touch", bwahahaaaa
gladcow

Next

Return to Arts