Vegan Ethos

...a real forum.

Whatcha Reading?

Vegan artists, vegans experiencing art, vegans in art. Vegans named Art!

Re: Whatcha Reading?

Postby Ariann » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:06 pm

finally starting maddaddam!

re: Kate Atkinson, One Good Turn was not as good as Case Histories.
Ariann

Postby Emiloid » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:48 pm

I finished Eat, Pray, Love... only 4 or 5 years after I started it! I ended up liking it a lot. :)

I also read Eggs by Jerry Spinelli. Really good story of friendship between a 9 year old boy and a 13 year old girl, both with family issues. It's a YA novel, though I'm not sure what age it's intended for. Anyway, I really like his books.

And... I just started World Without Cats by Bonham Richards. Kinda weird so far... a little anti-vegan and anti-animal activists, but it could change as the story progresses. It's still irritating to read, though. I got this from walrus, who I think liked it, so it can't be too bad, right?
Living la vida local.
Emiloid

Postby quagga » Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:37 am

Walrus loaned me A World Without Cats, too. I thought it was just alright, written by a novice writer. I kinda liked the portrayal of the piano-playing cat lady.

Did not like Eat, Pray, Love, although I was compelled to read it all the way through because the story did interest me.
quagga

Postby Emiloid » Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:47 am

Yeah... I did not like Eat, Pray, Love at first... it seemed like a really self-centered story, and I'm not really that interested in spiritual stuff. But, it drew me in the second time I started it. I read another of Gilbert's books, Committed, after starting Eat, Pray, Love, and I think it got me more interested in her story... so when I started it again I was more into it. BTW, I seriously can't even imagine how it was made into a movie. It just doesn't seem like it would translate at all. *shrug*

In other news, The Chocolate War is insane. (I'm re-reading it after about 25 years.) I've put World Without Cats on hold, but I'll pick it up right after the carnage of The Chocolate War is over. :anxious:
Living la vida local.
Emiloid

Postby quagga » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:19 pm

I liked Eat Pray Love at first - but then it became a fairy tale for adults and not a real story. I did not believe any of the events that happened in Bali or how she found her soul-mate. I think there was a highly embellished kernel of truth underlying the book, but the rest was designed to draw the reader in. Which is fine in fiction, but was distasteful to me in a work that was nominally in the non-fiction category.

Now you have me interested in The Chocolate War!
quagga

Postby gladcow » Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:43 pm

I read "Wild" while on my trip to Kansas to see my brother. It's about an idiot hiking the Pacific Crest Trail. I mean...it's about an inexperienced lady hiking it alone as a means of therapy. It was goodish. But I also wanted to yell at her. A lot. It renewed my interest in hiking the part of the trail Stan & I attempted a few years back, though (we got snowed out). And, it stirred in me a desire to hike the South Sister.
everyone's right and no one is sorry, that's the start and the end of the story
gladcow

Postby gladcow » Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:44 pm

now I'm reading "Changing Planes" by Ursula LeGuin. I picked it up randomly at the bookstore the other week. It's good. Short stories that are loosely related.

Next, I'll probably read "Dreams of My Father" by Obama. My grandma gave it to me yesterday. Large Print, score!
gladcow

Postby gladcow » Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:45 pm

I read "Wild" while on my trip to Kansas to see my brother. It's about an idiot hiking the Pacific Crest Trail. I mean...it's about an inexperienced lady hiking it alone as a means of therapy. It was goodish. But I also wanted to yell at her. A lot. It renewed my interest in hiking the part of the trail Stan & I attempted a few years back, though (we got snowed out). And, it stirred in me a desire to hike the South Sister.
gladcow

Postby quagga » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:33 pm

Do you think Wild fell into the Eat Pray Love category as I described below? Because though I am intensely interested in the Pacific Crest Trail and thru-hiking in general, I stayed away from Wild because it seemed too fairy-tale-ish. I enjoyed A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson, which was about hiking the Appalachian Trail.

I remember when you got snowed out a few years ago. Boo.
quagga

Postby Miso Vegan » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:14 am

I'm reading Telegraph Avenue by Michael Chabon. I really like his writing, in particular his expansive yet effortless vocabulary. This one took my awhile to get into, but now I'm completely into it.
Miso Vegan

PreviousNext

Return to Arts