Vegan Ethos

...a real forum.

Helping The Animals, You're Doing It Wrong

Events and actions – ongoing, past, and future.

Note: This forum is about specific actions. To discuss activist theory and practice, check out the Activism in Theory and Practice forum. You might also want to visit the Outreach and Education Forum.

Helping The Animals, You're Doing It Wrong

Postby Miso Vegan » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:49 am

(If there's a better forum for this, feel free to move it.)

I have an acquaintance whom I'd lost touch with, then got reacquainted with a few days ago. Coincidentally, she sent me a FB friend request on the day I was wondering where she was. Anywho, she and her young daughter who is 10-ish years old, at this child's request, have just moved temporarily to Montana from Washington to join the Buffalo Field Campaign. The child apparently decided buffalo are her favorite animal and she felt moved to help them, so mom and daughter are helping the buffalo.

Today my friend posted that the food there is "very different, but good: elk."

WTF? I mean, I know there's a lot of meat-eaters that like to save non-food animals, but come on. Save the buffalo by killing the elk?
Miso Vegan

Re: Helping The Animals, You're Doing It Wrong

Postby VegeTexan » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:47 pm

Yay for your friends who went to help the BFC !!!

I was with the Buffalo Field Campaign one winter a decade ago. They had a vegetarian/vegan option for dinner even back then.
And the closest diner served vegan veggieburgers because of them.
I also met a few people who were anti factory farms, but ok with hunting for meat.
Remember, this is in Montana.

One member of the community back then was nicknamed Roadkill. He collected bones and made jewelry.
Wore a fur jacket he had made from roadkill.
Interesting guy.
Remember, this is in Montana.
Roadkill brought home things for the freezer.
Thankfully BFC became more vegetarian oriented in the last few years.

BFC is one of my very favorite grassroots animal protection groups. (that could have something to do with the fact that I am a vegan National Park Service Ranger)
I hope people will visit and support
http://www.buffalofieldcampaign.org/
VegeTexan

Postby panthera » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:19 am

[quote="Miso Vegan";p=1886]WTF? I mean, I know there's a lot of meat-eaters that like to save non-food animals, but come on. Save the buffalo by killing the elk?

:dizzy:
I wonder what the little girl thinks? I mean, that's not even as "hidden" an act as just eating the ubiquitous hamburger & chicken.
panthera

Postby Miso Vegan » Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:11 am

Good question....
Miso Vegan

Postby Raiem » Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:58 pm

I was a vegetarian before I became vegan. It took me a while to put it all together. Actually, I stopped eating meats in steps as well. I stopped eating pork a long time before I became a vegetarian because I saw and read so much about how smart pigs are. I continued to eat beef, chicken and turkey. It was a process for me. Once I became vegan I could look back and see my odd pattern, but maybe it will be the same way for this little girl.
Just what you want to be, you'll be in the end--Justin Hayward
Raiem

Postby panthera » Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:48 am

I think we're all used to the strange speciesism going on regarding cows, pigs, fish, birds, etc. It's just that both buffalo & elk are (sometimes) wild animals, and they're ungulates. They seem different from other food animals, in a way that is similar, so the cognitive dissonance is "louder." I suppose the difference is that nobody is trying to save elk, so they're always seen as being somebody's food.
panthera

Postby Miso Vegan » Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:13 am

Yes, that's it exactly, panthera.
Miso Vegan

Postby panthera » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:50 pm

Thenk yoo MV. I feel smrat. :scholar:
panthera

Return to Activism: Events and Actions