Vegan Ethos

...a real forum.

Omegas!

We want you to be a healthy vegan! :)

Omegas!

Postby Shiva » Fri May 06, 2011 4:59 am

Do you take them? Do tell.
~Shiva , Chief Troublemaker
If this post was edited, it was probably for spelling.
Shiva

Twitter handle: ShivaWolfe

Re: Omegas!

Postby vegankitty » Fri May 06, 2011 5:19 am

I take Vpure. But I have been looking for a supplement with lots of EPA. Miso Vegan posted this on my Facebook wall: http://www.futurebiotics.com/product/92

I'm going to try that and either also take Vpure or, more likely, switch to a cheaper DHA supplement.

eta-it's available at The Vitamin Shoppe on my corner!
vegankitty

Twitter handle: vegankitty

Postby panthera » Fri May 06, 2011 8:48 pm

I just ordered that Monster EPA one through Vegan Essentials. Plus some Glucosamine.

Completed my order, then saw a special advertised on the home page: Veganu soap, 4.5oz for $1.15ish and 3 for $3!! :o I LOVE that soap, and what an insane price, and it'd only be $1 in shipping, if I could get it on my order! So I called them and they added it, even though I'd already used my credit card (not sure if it goes right through or not). :magicwang:

Hung up. Then checked the ingredients and found "sodium palmitate." AAUUGHH! Palm oil! Orangutan-killer! Called again. Took back off. :-(
panthera

Postby VegeTexan » Sat May 07, 2011 9:43 pm

I do DEVA Omega 3 DHA from algae. from amazon.com
I've read a lot about this issue and while I continue to use home-ground flax seed in my oatmeal or anywhere else I can tuck it in my menu,
I still prefer to take a vegan algae supplement to get lots of it everyday.
VegeTexan

Postby panthera » Sun May 08, 2011 11:31 pm

Oh yeah, I try to sneak hemp oil into strong-tasting stuff like chili or burritos. And flaxseed. Got away from walnuts when I got a bunch that must have had spots of mold here and there.
panthera

Postby downwithapathy » Mon May 09, 2011 2:22 am

I take flax oil (sometimes). I'd switch to vpure if it weren't so pricey.
downwithapathy

Postby dropscone » Mon May 09, 2011 7:33 pm

I'm eating hemp oil at this very moment, I've stirred 2 teaspoons into a lentil stew. I think it's okay tasting as long as it's not overheated, and I can't afford the pill supplements. I've been eating walnuts and canola oil in things too, and my mayo has added flax oil.
"and all the world is biscuit shaped, it's just for me to feed my face, and I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste..."
dropscone

Postby flower » Mon May 09, 2011 11:01 pm

I put Pure One dha oil into my smoothie every morning & have also been putting chia seeds in it.
flower

Twitter handle: veganflower

Postby panthera » Tue May 10, 2011 7:37 pm

Ugh, I just took one of my new superEPA supplements & have been burping up fishy taste :down: I ate a full meal just after swallowing it, too. Does it matter that it was the first thing in my stomach? Strange that it's so fishy when it's from yeast (I thought it was algae, but the label says yeast). Maybe it's the EPA that makes fish taste fishy!

I wouldn't take this stuff except that it's supposed to be good for depression as well as the other benefits, especially the EPA portion My doctor recommended the Omega-3 part, and VK's articles convinced me about the EPA part. Wouldn't it be a sad statement if just the taste made me "non-compliant!"
panthera

Postby vegankitty » Tue May 10, 2011 10:02 pm

Oh that sucks. I also thought the EPA was from algae.

I haven't had a chance to go to the store that has it yet. I keep meaning to then forgetting. I need more lysine powder for the cats so that'll get me there.

I just saw a mood support supplement at Whole Foods that had 1000 mg of EPA which of course wasn't vegan but which reminded me of my correspondence with the vegan RD because she said that she didn't think that there was even a nonvegan EPA supplement with that high a dose.
vegankitty

Twitter handle: vegankitty

Next

Return to Nutrition