Vegan Ethos

...a real forum.

Vitamin D

We want you to be a healthy vegan! :)

Vitamin D

Postby Ariann » Thu May 26, 2011 12:39 am

Yo vegans, how do you stop being deficient in Vitamin D?

Two months ago, I tested at 17 ng/ml, this week I tested at 19.5 Pretty pathetic. I've been taking 4000 IU/day + the amount in my multivitamin and fortified foods (probably another 400-600 IU a day) over those two months. I'm now having some research done by my various medical people to find out if the standard 50,000IU/week for deficiency is safe to do in pregnancy. One of my midwives said yes, the other said "I just tell everyone to take 400 IU and spend a lot of time in the sun." For those of you who have done the 50000IU regimen, how long did it take to get to normal blood levels? Was it easy to get a prescription for D2 instead of D3 (if you have any tips on how to do this, that would be helpful)? Did you just take D3? If you tried both, did you find there was a difference in efficacy?
Ariann

Re: Vitamin D

Postby Miso Vegan » Thu May 26, 2011 1:57 am

It took about 2 weeks to feel better but it takes months to recover from a deficiency, from what I understand.

However, I would like to direct you to this new vegan D3, which is high-dose and may make most of the discussion about D2 vs D3 moot:
http://www.amazon.com/Natures-Plus-Vita ... B0042DDP44

(I sell it even cheaper at Sidecar; if you want we can work sumpthin' out.)
Miso Vegan

Postby vegematic » Thu May 26, 2011 12:52 pm

Is that a swallow or a chew, Miso Vegan?

I picked up a chewable D supplement the other day at a 7th-Day Adventist NFS. The ingredients looked vegan but after taking it for a couple days I noticed that the ingredients were in two different places on the label (Active and Inactive, I had forgotten about this...) and saw that the active ingredient is not vegan :( . I'm going to finish it anyway as nothing will be helped by throwing it out. But I'll want a vegan one to replace it.
-vegematic
I just walked. I was very happy.
-Bill Bryson.
vegematic

Postby vegematic » Thu May 26, 2011 12:53 pm

p.s. worst vegan evar

<-------------------------
I just walked. I was very happy.
-Bill Bryson.
vegematic

Postby panthera » Thu May 26, 2011 1:37 pm

[quote="vegematic";p=2724]p.s. worst vegan evar

<-------------------------

oh pleez! :rolleyes:
I think not! :nice:
panthera

Postby gladcow » Thu May 26, 2011 4:18 pm

it took me years to come back from my deficiency. I was taking D2. Then, the husb ordered D3 instead. And I took it. (WORST VEGAN EVER) and now my D levels are good. was it time, or the D3? Hard to say. When we reorder, I'd like to get back to vegan D.
everyone's right and no one is sorry, that's the start and the end of the story
gladcow

Postby vegankitty » Thu May 26, 2011 4:26 pm

D3 is supposed to be absorbed better. I know another pregnant vegan who had low D and I believe she took D3 though I may be mistaken. I know she was conflicted about it but that her doctor was pushing the D3 because it takes longer to get your levels up with D2.

Gladcow, have you noticed an improvement in mood since getting your levels back up?
vegankitty

Twitter handle: vegankitty

Postby Ariann » Fri May 27, 2011 12:30 am

I never had any sense that I was deficient, I just got tested just-in-case (glad I did), so I'm eager to see if someday I feel better than I do now when my deficiency is corrected. I ordered the vegan D3, should be here tomorrow. My midwives had nothing to say about D3/D2 and I didn't bring it up and I don't think they'd have a clue if I did (also, they can't remember visit to visit that I'm vegan). I did a little research and it seems like the 50K prescription dose available in the US is actually D2, not D3, but it's in a gelatin capsule.

I'm dismayed to hear that it takes so long to get to normal, particularly because I'd much prefer to be at a healthy level pre-breastfeeding rather than have to supplement my kid's vitamin D from the start - just one more thing to worry about.
Ariann

Postby Miso Vegan » Fri May 27, 2011 1:48 am

[quote="vegankitty";p=2729]D3 is supposed to be absorbed better. I know another pregnant vegan who had low D and I believe she took D3 though I may be mistaken. I know she was conflicted about it but that her doctor was pushing the D3 because it takes longer to get your levels up with D2.

That's a common misperception, often repeated without much source, but originally perpetuated by alarmists among the health fields. This blog post sums up the research nicely:
http://drtorihudson.com/general/nutriti ... the-other/
Last edited by Miso Vegan on Fri May 27, 2011 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Miso Vegan

Postby Miso Vegan » Fri May 27, 2011 1:48 am

[quote="vegematic";p=2723]Is that a swallow or a chew, Miso Vegan?

Swallow.
Miso Vegan

Next

Return to Nutrition