Vegan Ethos

...a real forum.

Vitamin D

We want you to be a healthy vegan! :)

Re: Vitamin D

Postby Miso Vegan » Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:07 am

[quote="gladcow";p=2823]my mood is way good.

Yay!
Miso Vegan

Postby gladcow » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:51 pm

I thought last night that another factor is the EPA I've been taking...so, yeah, what do I know? :p
everyone's right and no one is sorry, that's the start and the end of the story
gladcow

Postby panthera » Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:24 pm

Regarding Vit B-12, though, there is apparently a huge difference between taking a lower dose more frequently & taking a higher dose less frequently. Panthimo, who used to work at PCRM, says that even if they add up to the same thing, the frequent low dose regimen is more effective. I don't think it's a matter of there being a limit to how much we can process at once, in which case taking a dose higher than that limit would obviously do no good.

He said that w/less frequent dosing, you have to take a much much higher dose. Maybe it's a matter of your body becoming better at absorbing it if it's more regular? Anyway, y'all probably already know this about B-12. :D

And with yoga, maybe it peels away outer layers of protective junk, allowing painful feelings out?
panthera

Postby Ariann » Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:37 am

B-12 absorbs poorly at all levels but it's well known that its absorption goes down exponentially the higher the dose. Even so, that doesn't mean that an occasional high dose is no good - it's so cheap and we require so little that it is not a big deal to take a large dose occasionally so that just might be preferable depending on your lifestyle. (Jack Norris recommends 1000mcg doses if you're taking it twice a week and 25-100 mcg if taking once a day.) Pernicious anemia (caused by B-12 deficiency) is generally treated with weekly or less frequent injections of large doses of B-12.

I don't know what the deal is with Vit. D. Deficiency seems usually to be treated with a once-weekly dose of 50k IU rather than a daily dose of 7-8K, but there might be no real reason for that. I haven't been able to find anything about absorption at different doses, which is kind of frustrating. I have found people saying they recommend 50K 1x/week until deficiency is corrected and then 50k 2x/month afterwards to maintain normal levels, rather than a daily supplement. I've never seen a 50K pill, but I feel like it must be huge considering how big my 2.5K pills are.
Ariann

Update - Success!

Postby Ariann » Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:11 am

So my D went from 17.4 to 19.5 in two months of supplementing with 6000IU D2/day, then went from 19.5 to 33.something in ONE MONTH of taking 5000-10,000IU (vegan) D3/day (I misread the label at first and thought 2 pills was 10K, so did two weeks at 5K, then two weeks at 10K). So, holy crap. I'd like to get over 40, so I'm going to continue with this regimen and get restested in a few months again. I've also been spending a bit more time in the mid-day sun without sunscreen, usually an hour at a time, maybe a couple times a week.
Ariann

Postby Shiva » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:51 am

Wow! Congrats, mama! :sunny: / :cool:
~Shiva , Chief Troublemaker
If this post was edited, it was probably for spelling.
Shiva

Twitter handle: ShivaWolfe

Postby Miso Vegan » Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:40 pm

That's great!
Miso Vegan

Postby Shiva » Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:42 pm

Vitamin D Update from JackNorrisRD.com

The good news is that many vegans who were struggling to raise their vitamin D levels to 80 nmol/l no longer need to worry about that, as 40 – 50 nmol/l is apparently fine and is the recommendation I will be promoting unless the IOM changes its recommendations in the future or there is other overwhelming evidence to do so.

This does not negate the importance of vegans making sure they get a reliable source of vitamin D. As I’ve pointed out many times, I have been contacted by many vegans whose vitamin D levels dropped well below 40 nmol/l and developed symptoms of deficiency. And even without overt symptoms (such as fatigue, or muscle or bone pain), you should not allow your bones to be harmed because you are neglecting vitamin D. My recommendations have stayed pretty much the same – if you are not getting enough sun to produce plenty of vitamin D, you should take about 1,000 IU of vitamin D per day.
~Shiva , Chief Troublemaker
If this post was edited, it was probably for spelling.
Shiva

Twitter handle: ShivaWolfe

Previous

Return to Nutrition