Vegan Ethos

...a real forum.

Vitamin D

We want you to be a healthy vegan! :)

Re: Vitamin D

Postby Miso Vegan » Fri May 27, 2011 1:51 am

[quote="Ariann";p=2732] I did a little research and it seems like the 50K prescription dose available in the US is actually D2, not D3, but it's in a gelatin capsule.

Most prescription D, including the shots, is D2. But, yeah, there's that gelatin.... Maybe you can ask for it in tablet form (and see if it has casein!)? Also, there is a liquid form by Rx that is hard to come by, and very costly unless you can convince your insurance to pay for it.
Miso Vegan

Postby Ariann » Fri May 27, 2011 3:53 am

Interesting. I don't know if it's worth the fight - especially since this vegan D3 you suggested is 5000IU tablets - might just take 10. (In any case, I do take two prescription meds that have lactose in them. It's possible I might not fight over this at all and just take the gelatin ones rather than try to find a way around it because I am way out of energy over life at the moment.)

The things I've read have mostly indicated that D2 and D3 are both equally good for correcting a deficiency, but there are lots of anecdotes to the contrary.
Ariann

Postby Miso Vegan » Fri May 27, 2011 5:34 am

I totally understand that. Hopefully the one you're getting does the trick!
Miso Vegan

Postby vegankitty » Fri May 27, 2011 1:27 pm

I would take the D2 in the gelatin if it were me. I uses to be on a medication that in generic form (and my insurance only pays for genetics is one is available) only came in capsules. I didn't feel great about it but I needed the medication.
vegankitty

Twitter handle: vegankitty

Postby Ariann » Sun May 29, 2011 9:25 pm

I've generally declared vitamin and mineral supplements "food" rather than "medicine," although the reality is that supplements of all sorts go through the process of animal testing, even if we can find vegan formulations of them. It's an ongoing problem.

It turns out that the 50K Vitamin D dose has not been tested in pregnant women and therefore is not generally offered (basically nothing is tested on pregnant women apparently because there's not enough money in it). That makes it "Category C" in the world of pregnancy "drugs," meaning it should be taken only when the benefits outweigh the risks (and the risks are obviously unknown, since it hasn't been tested, but likely minor if anything). I have taken a variety of category C stuff since getting pregnant and am comfortable doing the same with Vit. D. So I'm going to do a 50K/week dose with the vegan D3 and retest in a month.
Ariann

Postby Ariann » Tue May 31, 2011 6:30 pm

Question: What is the difference between taking 10K IU 5x/week or 7-8K 7x/week vs. 50K once a week? Is there a benefit to shocking the system with the 50K?
Ariann

Postby gladcow » Tue May 31, 2011 6:49 pm

my mood is way good. I would not ascribe it to the Vitamin D, per se. I think that having low D wasn't helping my mood. But, I couldn't say I could correlate higher D with higher mood in general.

(what IS helping is 2-3 hours of yoga/week)
everyone's right and no one is sorry, that's the start and the end of the story
gladcow

Postby vegankitty » Tue May 31, 2011 10:04 pm

Totally wrong thread bit for me yoga made me more depressed. Maybe it was the kind? I thought it was just me but then I read on a forum about alternative health care for mental health that yoga can have that effect on some people.
vegankitty

Twitter handle: vegankitty

Postby gladcow » Tue May 31, 2011 11:03 pm

I had a really weird incident where yoga unlocked this deep sadness. took me weeks to shake it.
everyone's right and no one is sorry, that's the start and the end of the story
gladcow

Postby Miso Vegan » Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:06 am

[quote="Ariann";p=2819]Question: What is the difference between taking 10K IU 5x/week or 7-8K 7x/week vs. 50K once a week? Is there a benefit to shocking the system with the 50K?

There's no real difference.
Miso Vegan

PreviousNext

Return to Nutrition