Vegan Ethos

...a real forum.

Warring Vitamins?

We want you to be a healthy vegan! :)

Warring Vitamins?

Postby panthera » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:46 am

I've read about how some supplements shouldn't be taken at the same time. I'd like to get some guidelines that I trust. I trust the info we collect here (once it's been "vetted," of course). :scholar:

Vitamin B-12

take w/food so as not to pee most of it out, right?

Potassium
Potassium supplements can reduce absorption of vitamin B12 in some people and might contribute to vitamin B12 deficiency.

Vitamin C
Early research suggests that vitamin C supplements can destroy dietary vitamin B12. It isn't known whether this interaction is important, but to stay on the safe side, take vitamin C supplements at least 2 hours after meals.

MedlinePlus, from NIH

Metformin, a medication for individuals with type 2 (non-insulin dependent) diabetes, decreases vitamin B12 absorption by tying up free calcium required for absorption of the IF-B12 complex. This effect is correctable by drinking milk or taking calcium carbonate tablets along with food or supplements (5). Previous reports that megadoses of vitamin C destroy vitamin B12 have not been supported (46) and may have been an artifact of the assay used to measure vitamin B12 levels (6).

Linus Pauling Institute, Oregon State University

So maybe separate B12 from C if it's easy to do, but don't worry too much about it?

Calcium

From the second source above, it sounds like Ca would be good to take along with B12.

I thought I read that Ca & Mg, while necessary to balance each other, shouldn't be taken at the same time. Has anybody else heard that?

Vit C
also w/food

Take w/Fe to help with absorption.
Possibly separate from B12.

My other ones are D & Omega-3. Anybody? Definitely Omega-3 mid-meal, to avoid the yucky fish-burps. :down:
panthera

Re: Warring Vitamins?

Postby Ariann » Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:18 am

I've heard Calcium and Magnesium should be taken together and in a 2:1 ratio, and that one shouldn't supplement calcium without supplementing magnesium as well. Never heard that they compete.

Don't know anything about B-12 interacting negatively with stuff, but it's extremely rare for someone to take a potassium supplement, so that seems like a strange concern. I take my B-12 at bed because it's a sublingual and I'm too impatient to let it absorb otherwise.

Definitely take iron separate from calcium.

D absorbs better with food, take it with your biggest meal (it's fat soluble). I'd think for Omega-3 timing wouldn't matter.

I think almost all vitamins absorb better with food, but I have always been hesitant to take calcium with food because it might block the iron from my food, so when I remember to take it at all, I take it between meals, maybe with a little snack.
Ariann

Postby vegankitty » Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:11 am

I take everything with food. I get nauseous if I take a multi on am empty stomach. Plus any more than twice a day for pills/vitamins gets tiresome.

I don't take an iron supplement at all.

As for cal-mag, I've read the same Ariann has. They make cal/mag supplements, in one pill in the right proportion. I havent been taking separate calcium either. I drink enough fortified milk amd juice.
vegankitty

Twitter handle: vegankitty

Postby Miso Vegan » Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:42 pm

Though some of us think the ca:mg 2:1 ratio is outdated and should be 1:1.

Other than that, Ariann has it right.
Miso Vegan

Postby panthera » Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:14 am

What if you know you're low on Ca, would you still take as much Mg? Panthimo drinks so much soda that he takes Ca just to balance that out. We were taking a Cal-Mg for awhile but started getting just Ca. I added Mg back in when I read about it not too long ago.

I forgot about the Ca & Fe feud. Omega-3 timing is just because of the taste. I've decided to use a separate pill-minder for my supplements, and alternate them. B, Ca, & D one day; Omega-3 & D then next. We always watch TV shows (Netflix) while eating dinner, and that's when we take the supplements. C tends to be in an Emergen-C packet in the morning or during the afternoon.

I have a number of pill-minders that are now too small for all my meds, so this is perfect!

Thanks for the info
panthera

Postby Shiva » Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:04 am

[quote="panthera";p=3116]I have a number of pill-minders that are now too small for all my meds...

I have one of these: Portable Pill Pods. I really like it. :)

Sorry for the tangent. Carry on.
~Shiva , Chief Troublemaker
If this post was edited, it was probably for spelling.
Shiva

Twitter handle: ShivaWolfe

Postby Miso Vegan » Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:46 am

[quote="panthera";p=3116]What if you know you're low on Ca, would you still take as much Mg?

Probably. Calcium and magnesium levels are usually closely related; if you have low calcium you probably have low magnesium. In fact, clinically low Mg can cause hypocalcemia. Mg is needed for proper Ca absorption, and our bodies do not retain Mg at the levels they maintain of Ca.

Having said that, I assume you have had your blood checked my a doctor to know that you have low Ca, so s/he should also be advising you on Mg, and of course, I am not a doctor, and there is such a thing as too much magnesium.

[quote="panthera";p=3116] Panthimo drinks so much soda that he takes Ca just to balance that out.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1192489 ... Pop%20ular
Miso Vegan

Postby panthera » Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:27 pm

I recently got a pretty comprehensive blood test, w/everything coming back normal, including B12. I can't remember if Vit D is one of the choices, and if so, whether I asked for it.

Panthimo hasn't checked for his levels in a few years; we're just going on the fact that he drinks quite a lot of soda. It used to be a 2-liter bottle a day, but he's cut it down to just weekend drinking, I think. Still, it seems like every time I turn around, he's going out to buy more. Or using the SodaStream soda maker. I've gotten him to take some Mg too, especially before he goes to bed. And we eat a lot of broccoli & kale. And Clif bars, which have 25% Ca & 10% Mg

The WSJ article is interesting, but it's difficult to say whether the studies funded by the dairy association are likely to come out for/against soda consumption. The conclusion that it may just be replacing the effects of Ca-enhancing could be taken to mean, "you can drink soda as long as you drink more milk."

MV, looks like those pods would be especially handy if you're going somewhere, since they're individually portable.
panthera

Postby Shiva » Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:59 am

[quote="panthera";p=3150]looks like those pods would be especially handy if you're going somewhere, since they're individually portable.

That's why I chose it. :) Each pod holds a lot of pills on each side, which is great if you take a lotta pills. The whole thing is BIG, but I like being able to just bring one or two pods when I am going somewhere for a day or weekend. And they stay closed. On the last trip that I made with my previous pill keeper, a couple of the compartments opened up in my bag. :( Pills everywhere, and only my memory to tell me what was what. :thinking:
~Shiva , Chief Troublemaker
If this post was edited, it was probably for spelling.
Shiva

Twitter handle: ShivaWolfe

Postby panthera » Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:40 am

Oops, I should have directed the pod comment at you. :blush: It is annoying to need big compartments; that's why I have an extra pill-keeper - I outgrew the previous one. :rolleyes: But it's really not that bad; I can fit them all into one compartment per day. Definitely been worse before. I'm really really happy to have only sid & bid.
panthera

Next

Return to Nutrition